Old January 6th 10, 01:59 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Default Excel 07 breaking links

Hi,

I tried following these steps below and still had the same problem. When I
email the file, its converting the file path from +\\miscserver\miscfolder to
this:

=+'C:\Documents and Settings\jlastname\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
Files\Content.Outlook\

Could it be an issue with Outlook or using Excel 2007?

We don't remember having this issue before and all of my co-workers have the
same permissions and access rights.

Thank you,

Jazmin

"Bill Manville" wrote:

If the links were originally to files in the same folder as the
spreadsheet (or possibly sub-folders thereof) then Excel will hold them
as relative links by default. So, when the spreadsheet gets moved
somewhere else the links will be interpreted as relative to that new
folder and the files may well not reside there.

I recommend trying the following (2003 or earlier):
File Properties Summary Hyperlink Base:
\\SomeNonServer\SomeNonFolder

In Excel 2007 you get there by [that's progress for you!]:
Office Button Prepare Properties Document Properties Advanced
Properties Summary

This will force Excel to hold hyperlinks as absolute rather than
relative to its assumed base (the folder it came from). Then remake
any links which are not pointing to the right place.

If you try this, please post back here with the results so that others
can tell whether the advice is worth following or not.

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

.

Old January 6th 10, 06:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

The solution I proposed was specifically for hyperlinks.
It won't have any effect on Excel (formula) links such as those you
describe.

Formula links are held as relative if the source workbook is in the
same folder as the destination workbook, or a sub-folder of it. [Which
is good if different users use different drive mappings or if the files
are moved as a set to a different location, but bad in your case of
emailing the file]

For formula links, I suggest you do the following:
- in Excel, open the file from its network location
- save it to a local folder. That will make the links non-relative
- send the local version by email.

Of course, the recipient will likely be unable to access the source
files. (Because if he could then you could just send him a link to the
file instead of the whole file)

Please let us know how you get on with this approach.