Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links
LisaK LisaK is offline

Default Excel 07 breaking links

I'm not sure I agree with this. We've been using links in this way for
years, and it has worked. The document is being opened by people within the
group, not being sent outside the company or anything like that. Maybe I'm
missing something, as I don't find this answer to be clear.

"Jeff Gordon" wrote:

"LisaK" wrote in message
We have a document on a shared drive that we update often and hyperlink to
other documents. Currently, I created a link to a Word doc but when I
email
it to a colleague, her link looks for the doc on her C drive. We've done
this many times with no problem. We have removed and retried creating the
link several times, have moved it to a higher level folder on the shared
drive, and have gone to the drive and found the doc, just to be sure it
was
put in the right place. Does anyone know what this problem might be?
Thank
you.

You have to save it somewhere on hard-drive and reopen it. If you open
attachments from email, then the link does not work. Otherwise, if you have
sent just a hyperlink like - file://C:\\Shared folder\Shared document.doc -
then it open that from local drive. I prefer this version - \\server\shared
folder\Shared document.doc -.

Anyway, any of those does not open anything, if you have made link to a Word
document and you have opened that as attachment from mail. Hope this give
an advice?

JG