Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Default Excel: External Network Links

I've started creating reporting files on Excel 2003 which are shared via
Mailsite 8.0 which link several files to one summary file. Currently the
file works when I open it, but not when another person opens it from their
computer. Ideally, multiple people would be able to access the summary file
with working links, and the correction could be easily applied to other
similar file relationships.

It looks like the file is connecting to the desktop of the specific user (in
the example below, misoca)before finding the worksite file (in the example
below, 90625), so when someone else opens it they can't access my desktop.

'C:\Documents and Settings\misoca\Local
Settings\Temp\NetRight\Links\WorkSite\[90625_1.XLS]

Another post hinted at what I might be doing wrong, but I'm not sure what
that means or how to fix it: "Also if your source files are on a network
drive and if you have mapped the network drive under different name it may be
causing the problem"

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

I know nothing about MailSite, but the symptoms you describe are
similar to those we see if a user emails the summary workbook to
someone else as an attachment and that person opens the attachment,
gets an error because they can't access the linked files and then sends
it back to you.

Assuming that all users can see the network location of the summary
file, do not send the file around as an email attachent; rather get the
users to access the file from its network location.

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Thanks for the response Bill. Unfortunately the file is not being emailed,
but rather each user accesses it directly from the network.

It seems as if the file path naming changes depending upon whether the
source files are open, and when the source file is saved/closed with respect
to the summary file, even though the formula is entered appears to be set the
same. Generally I try to either copy a relative formula and use find-replace
to change the paths of entire sections if need be.

I saw something online about writing a universal path to a file, for
networked files, but have not been able to find a clear explanation on how to
do that? Can someone direct me further on that point?

Thanks,

"Bill Manville" wrote:

I know nothing about MailSite, but the symptoms you describe are
similar to those we see if a user emails the summary workbook to
someone else as an attachment and that person opens the attachment,
gets an error because they can't access the linked files and then sends
it back to you.

Assuming that all users can see the network location of the summary
file, do not send the file around as an email attachent; rather get the
users to access the file from its network location.

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Misoca wrote:
I saw something online about writing a universal path to a file, for
networked files

A UNC filename is like
\\ServerName\ShareName\Folder\Folder\FileName.ext