Keith Streich

Default Automatic refresh of external data

I posted this is the normal excel group with no response, so here we go.

I've looked and played with all the settings that I think would allow
automatic refresh of external data, but I still get a dialog box every time
I open the workbook that asks if I really want to enable or disable
automatic refresh. Yes I really do! Where is the switch or property which
automatically enables this?

TIA

Keith

PS In excel XP (aka 2001?), I get a button to always refresh. In excel
2003, that button and message have been cleared from the dialog box.

Bill Manville

You need to set a registry key.
Usual caveats about editing the registry apply.

In:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\E xcel

Edit / New / DWord value : name it QuerySecurity
Edit / Modify : give it value 2

For more info (relating to Excel 2000) see

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England