Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

Default link workbooks on different computers

can i link a cell in an excel workbook on one PC to a cell in an excel
workbook on another PC?

i have a spreadsheet with realtime stock quotes on one PC and want to share
the realtime quotes with other PCs without downloading the realtime software
onto the secondary PCs. Can anybody help?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

confused wrote:
can i link a cell in an excel workbook on one PC to a cell in an excel
workbook on another PC?

i have a spreadsheet with realtime stock quotes on one PC and want to share
the realtime quotes with other PCs without downloading the realtime software
onto the secondary PCs. Can anybody help?

Yes

1. You will want to have both workbooks open and tiled on your screen to
make the following steps easier.

2. Select the data in the source workbook & copy the data to the clip board.

3. Select the are to receive the data in the destination workbook, click
Edit, Paste Special, Paste Link.

The destination workbook can be on another machine or you can be on the
other machine, in the destination workbook, and viewing the shared
workbook while performing the steps from the destination. The source
file, folder, or drive, may have to be mapped first depending on the
version on Excel & OS being used.

You can also set the links to update when the file is opened on the
destination machine or do the update manually. If there is little
activity on your lan keeping the link alive while the destination is
open may not be a problem but if there is a lot of other activity you
may want to set it to manual or update only when opened as there will be
a lot of "chatter" between the two machines when on automatic.

Hope this helps.

BTW Prentice-Hall has some very good training manuals covering various
office versions for very reasonable prices. The link to the Office XP
manual is
http://phcatalog.pearson.com/program...rogram_id=6235
or for Office 2000
http://phcatalog.pearson.com/program...rogram_id=6236

From time to time I have seen them available at Sam's Club in the Los
Angeles area for about $15. I don't know if PH will sell direct or not.

These basic steps are from the excel portion of their XP office manual
page 281. Its been a long time since I did this so I wanted a refresher
before providing the steps.

James
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

The solution described only works if the linked workbooks are both open on
the same PC. I want to have the source workbook open on one pc and the
destination workbook open on a different pc.

Thanks to james for the effort.

"James" wrote:

confused wrote:
[...]

From time to time I have seen them available at Sam's Club in the Los
Angeles area for about $15. I don't know if PH will sell direct or not.

These basic steps are from the excel portion of their XP office manual
page 281. Its been a long time since I did this so I wanted a refresher
before providing the steps.

James

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links

"James" wrote:

confused wrote:
[...]

From time to time I have seen them available at Sam's Club in the Los
Angeles area for about $15. I don't know if PH will sell direct or not.

These basic steps are from the excel portion of their XP office manual
page 281. Its been a long time since I did this so I wanted a refresher
before providing the steps.

James

Did you share the folders & map them as a drive on the local machines?

I have done this in the past with no problems.

James