Greg

Default How workbooks link to other workbooks

I have one workbook that new rows are added to when a new job is bid. I want
to link to a cell with the total that will be at the bottom. What will happen
when a new row is added? I need it to stay on the total value.
--
Greg

Dave Peterson

Is that cell with the link on another worksheet in the same workbook?

If yes, then it'll work fine.

If it's in a different workbook, then if both workbooks are open, it'll work
fine. If the "receiving" workbook is closed, then you may have trouble.

If you used something like:
='C:\my documents\excel\[book1.xls]Sheet4'!$A$24
as your link, then it won't work nicely.

But if you name that cell (insert|Name), then your formula could look like:
=book1.xls!myTotal_01

Then it'll work ok.

===
One thing you may want to consider. Put those totals in Row 1 (with headers in
row 2). Then you won't have to worry about where they could be.

And if you use window|freeze panes, those totals will always be visible when
you're playing with your data--no need to scroll down to see the total.

Greg wrote:

I have one workbook that new rows are added to when a new job is bid. I want
to link to a cell with the total that will be at the bottom. What will happen
when a new row is added? I need it to stay on the total value.
--
Greg

--

Dave Peterson
Greg

I'm not sure what you mean. Say I have a sum function in H10 I add a row
above it so the total is now in H11. will my link in the other book update to
H11 or do i have to reassign it?
--
Greg

"Greg" wrote:

I have one workbook that new rows are added to when a new job is bid. I want
to link to a cell with the total that will be at the bottom. What will happen
when a new row is added? I need it to stay on the total value.
--
Greg

Anna

As long as you re-sum the column when you add the new row, the link should
update automatically. If you want a link to reference a static cell reference
that won't change, you would put a $ sign in front of the row number and
column letter (ex. $A$1)
Hope this helps.