Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default data reentry for ferification

I have a large amount of data in a worksheet that was hand-entered. I want
to go back through and re-enter the data to double-check if there are any
mistakes. I know that there is a way to set up some sort of masking
worksheet that will compare a re-entered value to a previously entered value,
and if there is a content discrepancy, it will be highlighted of formatted in
some way.

For example, in Sheet 1, cell J9, I have the number "12269". So, if in the
alternate sheet I re-enter "12254", an error would pop up or something. Is
there a good way to do this? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Kristen wrote:
I have a large amount of data in a worksheet that was hand-entered. I want
to go back through and re-enter the data to double-check if there are any
mistakes. I know that there is a way to set up some sort of masking
worksheet that will compare a re-entered value to a previously entered value,
and if there is a content discrepancy, it will be highlighted of formatted in
some way.

For example, in Sheet 1, cell J9, I have the number "12269". So, if in the
alternate sheet I re-enter "12254", an error would pop up or something. Is
there a good way to do this? Thanks!

Format: Conditional Formatting: Use the dropdown to set criteria.

Good luck.
Susan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you copy the reentered data into the same worksheet. So you have the
original data in column A and the reentered data in column B. Then just
do a sum in column C "=A1-B1" if all the data in colum C is "0" then
the data in both columns is the same.

Pierre wrote:

Kristen wrote:
I have a large amount of data in a worksheet that was hand-entered. I want
to go back through and re-enter the data to double-check if there are any
mistakes. I know that there is a way to set up some sort of masking
worksheet that will compare a re-entered value to a previously entered value,
and if there is a content discrepancy, it will be highlighted of formatted in
some way.

For example, in Sheet 1, cell J9, I have the number "12269". So, if in the
alternate sheet I re-enter "12254", an error would pop up or something. Is
there a good way to do this? Thanks!

Format: Conditional Formatting: Use the dropdown to set criteria.

Good luck.
Susan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Kristen --

It depends whether you want to compare cell-by-cell, or simply make sure
that the 2nd entry is somewhere in the first list.

If it's cell-by-cell, then I'd create the two lists, then use the
=DELTA(cell1, cell2) function. If they're the same, it's a 1. If not, it's
a 0.

If you simply want to make sure that your second set is one of the many
listings on the first list, then use the DataValidation tool. Follow the
instructions, and set the list of acceptable entries as the range where your
first list of data is located.

HTH