Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jillian

Default Importing Data

I am using Microsoft Excel 2003 and I am trying to import data from one
worksheet to another. I found out how to import the data, but I can not find
out how to get the data that I am importing to go into the labelled cells
that I want them to go into. Is there any way that I can get Excel to do
this, or am I searching for something that can't even happen?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR

It sounds like you would have better results by importing the data to a
helper sheet and then linking the values you wish to your labelled cells.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Jillian" wrote:

I am using Microsoft Excel 2003 and I am trying to import data from one
worksheet to another. I found out how to import the data, but I can not find
out how to get the data that I am importing to go into the labelled cells
that I want them to go into. Is there any way that I can get Excel to do
this, or am I searching for something that can't even happen?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jillian

What is a helper sheet? I'm sorry, but I am kind of new to working in Excel
at this kind of a level, and I've been reading up and doing my research, but
I can't seem to figure this part out and I've been at a stand-still for quite
a few days now. If/When I do get my data to the helper sheet, does it matter
if the values in my labelled cells are text and not numbers?

"Jillian" wrote:

I am using Microsoft Excel 2003 and I am trying to import data from one
worksheet to another. I found out how to import the data, but I can not find
out how to get the data that I am importing to go into the labelled cells
that I want them to go into. Is there any way that I can get Excel to do
this, or am I searching for something that can't even happen?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR

A "Helper" sheet is just a name given to any unused worksheet in the
workbook. If you are only using Sheet1, then Sheet2 could be your "helper
sheet". If you are using all of the sheets visible on the tabs at the
bottom, then right-click on one of them and Insert a new worksheet and use it
as the "helper sheet".

As for linking cells from the helper sheet to your "labeled cells". Choose
a cell on your main worksheet where you want a cell from the helper sheet
inserted. Then left click on it and type the equal sign. Then select the
helper sheet from the tabs below. Then left click on the cell that you want
the value transferred. Then press the Enter key. The value will now show up
on your main sheet where you specified. Do this for as many cells as needed.

hth
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Jillian" wrote:

I am using Microsoft Excel 2003 and I am trying to import data from one
worksheet to another. I found out how to import the data, but I can not find
out how to get the data that I am importing to go into the labelled cells
that I want them to go into. Is there any way that I can get Excel to do
this, or am I searching for something that can't even happen?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jillian

Thank you so much for the help. One more question though, before I'm done.
After I transfer all of my data onto my original worksheet, will everything
that I add on the "helper sheet" be automatically tranfered over and
updated, and if so, does it overwrite what was there previously, or does it
add to the worksheet underneath all of my other data. I can't risk losing
any data, and I want to try to save time and energy by constantly having to
copy/paste or keep re-doing a function.

"Jillian" wrote:

I am using Microsoft Excel 2003 and I am trying to import data from one
worksheet to another. I found out how to import the data, but I can not find
out how to get the data that I am importing to go into the labelled cells
that I want them to go into. Is there any way that I can get Excel to do
this, or am I searching for something that can't even happen?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR

Once you establish the link between the helper sheet and your main sheet, it
will relay whatever values are in the helper sheet to the main sheet. If you
change a linked cell in the helper sheet, "that original data" is then gone,
and the link will transfer the new data to the main sheet, which will also
overwrite whatever value the link had placed there before......

hth
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Jillian" wrote:

I am using Microsoft Excel 2003 and I am trying to import data from one
worksheet to another. I found out how to import the data, but I can not find
out how to get the data that I am importing to go into the labelled cells
that I want them to go into. Is there any way that I can get Excel to do
this, or am I searching for something that can't even happen?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jillian

So is there any way that I can transfer within Excel without overwriting my
previous data or am I going to have to try to re-do everything that I have
already done with a different program? Thank you so much for the help, I
hope that I haven't bothered you too much with all of my questions.
~Jillian~

"Jillian" wrote:

I am using Microsoft Excel 2003 and I am trying to import data from one
worksheet to another. I found out how to import the data, but I can not find
out how to get the data that I am importing to go into the labelled cells
that I want them to go into. Is there any way that I can get Excel to do
this, or am I searching for something that can't even happen?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR

I'n not exactly sure what you are trying to do, but it sounds like you might
be wanting to import multiple sheets at various times into your workbook, and
then want to display their data in specific cells on your MainSheet.....so
far so good, we've been there..........but now you say you do not wish to
lose any data, even by replacing it with new data..........well, that entails
a little more..........what you can do is use your FirstHelperSheet as your
main transfer source and actually import your new sheets each time to their
own new sheet..........then, copy whichever one you're interested in viewing
in your mainsheet format, over to the FirstHelperSheet which is the only one
that is actually linked to your MainSheet.....even tho the FirstHelperSheet
and MainSheet data forever changes as you view different iterations of the
data, all data would be safe and secure on their own private individual
sheets.......Whew!.........

hth
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Jillian" wrote:

I am using Microsoft Excel 2003 and I am trying to import data from one
worksheet to another. I found out how to import the data, but I can not find
out how to get the data that I am importing to go into the labelled cells
that I want them to go into. Is there any way that I can get Excel to do
this, or am I searching for something that can't even happen?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jillian

Thank you, your information helped me a lot, but I think it mostly made me
realize that what I am trying to accomplish will not work in Excel. My data
is in the same worksheet, but that worksheet is forever changing and when I
import the data from that worksheet(even when I change the information) I
need it to continuously add to the sheet I imported it to. I don't know if
you know as much about Access as you do Excel, but I am going to try to
transfer my data over to that program and see where it takes me from there.
If you know anything about Access your imput would be greatly appreciated.
And, guarenteed whatever you know about Access will be more than what I know
already. Would there be any way to contact you if I had any more questions?
I had just happened to fall onto this help site by pure accident, and I don't
know if I could find it again if I needed to.

"Jillian" wrote:

I am using Microsoft Excel 2003 and I am trying to import data from one
worksheet to another. I found out how to import the data, but I can not find
out how to get the data that I am importing to go into the labelled cells
that I want them to go into. Is there any way that I can get Excel to do
this, or am I searching for something that can't even happen?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR

Hi Jillian.............

Access takes a different path than I, good luck with it............if you
need further Excel help, you may post back to the group (which you can
re-find through www.microsoft.com ), or email me directly if you wish.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3