Homeuser

Default Saving data in a worksheet within a workbook

Invoice data is generated from accounting software and downloaded to Excel
via c:\[workbook name].xls. Urgent invoice data is dealt with immediately
and edited and printed from c:\[workbook name].xls and forwarded to end
users.

However, non-urgent invoice data will be input later by end of the day and
together with the urgent data get downloaded to c:\[workbook name].xls again,
except that the earlier downloaded and edited urgent data will be overridden.
This means that urgent data will need to be edited again together with the
non-urgent data and is a waste of time and effort.

Are we able to do the following?

Create worksheet1 and worksheet2 in workbook.

When urgent data get downloaded, can it be saved in
c:\[workbook].xls\[worksheet1]? Editing can be done in worksheet1 and be
saved.

When urgent data and non-urgent data get downloaded again, can it be saved
in c:\[workbook].xls\[worksheet2] without overriding worksheet1? Urgent data
can be deleted from worksheet2 since it is already saved in worksheet1.
Editing on non-urgent data can be done in worksheet2 and then be saved.

In this way, we do not need to create a new workbook for the urgent data and
we can save same day data in one workbook but under separate worksheets
within the same workbook.

Thanks.
bigwheel

Does you accounting software always create the workbook with the same
name? From your explanation, it would appear to be the case as you say
that later downloads of data overwrite the earlier stuff. Creating
separate worksheets would not help in this case as the workbook would
get overwritten as before. Why not rename the worksheet each time the
accounting software generates the data then you will have copies of all
the invoices.

--
bigwheel
bigwheel's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25301

Homeuser

Dear bigwheel:

Thanks for your reply. Yes, our accounting software always create the
workbook for the invoice data under a default path with the same file name.
We did think of saving different batches of invoice data (e.g. urgent and
non-urgent ones for the day) under separate workbook names. However, if we
have, say, 5 batches for the day, we would have saved 5 different workbooks
for that day and because we keep such workbooks for months for future
reference; over time, the number of workbooks will be too many.
The other alternative is, of course, we can copy the worksheets from the
earlier 4 workbooks into the 5th (last) workbook and rename all the
worksheets 1 to 4 plus the existing worksheet 5 and all the invoices will be
within the same workbook. However, this will involve so many "copy and
paste" function.

This is why we hope to find a solution to be able to save all invoices in
one workbook with the least effort. It certainly sounds like Excel is unable
to direct the saving of data to a particular worksheet within a workbook, as
long as the same workbook name is used for saving data, all the worksheets
within that workbook will always get overwritten.