Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How do I use a pivot table to present data, not sum or count it.

Here is my problem, I have one database with three fields, Name, Exam, Date
Taken. I want a pivot or other report which shows the names in rows and the
exam type in columns. The data section of the report needs to just present
the date the exam was taken. The pivot table is perfect except it wants to
operate on the data (sum, count, average, etc.) Is there a way to just have
it present the data. Or, is there another function that would do that?

Rick
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Assuming for each name, there is only one exam and 1 date, try using the
min or max option instead of count or sum. format the max of date field
to be a date.

Matt

--
Mallycat
Mallycat's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35514

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

What would you do if the same person took the same exam more than once? I
think you'd have to choose either the first date ('Min'), the last date
('Max') or an intermediate date ('Average'). Since the pivot has to allow
for the possiblity of duplicates, you need to choose whichever function comes
closest to what you'd want. Of course, if you never have duplicates, then
those three options all return identical -- and correct -- results.
(BTW, you'll probably want to right-click on one of the filled in data cells
and select Field Settings; from there, choose a better label and format
(click on Number... and choose Date)).

"Rick" wrote:

Here is my problem, I have one database with three fields, Name, Exam, Date
Taken. I want a pivot or other report which shows the names in rows and the
exam type in columns. The data section of the report needs to just present
the date the exam was taken. The pivot table is perfect except it wants to
operate on the data (sum, count, average, etc.) Is there a way to just have
it present the data. Or, is there another function that would do that?

Rick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I'm looking for something similar where I want to list the values in the
pivot

In my case I have a large list of systems used by our various DIVISIONS
by Different REGION. I wany my rows and columns to be GROUP and
REGION...and the "value" to be the list of systems used by that
Group/Division combination. In some cases two different groups or
regions share the same system and it's value is repeated as another
row.

I can't figure out how to do this.

--
spot1234
spot1234's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=36632

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"Rick" wrote:

Here is my problem, I have one database with three fields, Name, Exam, Date
Taken. I want a pivot or other report which shows the names in rows and the
exam type in columns. The data section of the report needs to just present
the date the exam was taken. The pivot table is perfect except it wants to
operate on the data (sum, count, average, etc.) Is there a way to just have
it present the data. Or, is there another function that would do that?

Rick

Rick,
You need to choose "Product" option. Go into Field settings and select
product.
Cheers
Andy