Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Carriage returns in the formula bar?

Hi, I have a large table which needs many columns (too many to do
manually with alt-enter) joined together in this particular way:

A1: textA
B1: textB

I need to join these two cells with a carriage return like so:

C1: textA
textB

Everything I have tried as a carriage return has only given me the
□ character instead of a carriage return. Is there a way to do
this?

--
rubeus
rubeus's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=36121

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I will, in advance, admit that this is not an elegant solution, but maybe it
will work for your purposes:

Set cell C1 to "wrap text" (Format . . . Cells . . . Alignment) and then try:
=CONCATENATE(A1,"
",B1)

Where the space between the quotes is filled with spaces. Possible weakness
include: long textA or textB that exceeds the cell width, and printing.
Maybe someone else knows how to get a return into a concatenate function.

"rubeus" wrote:

Hi, I have a large table which needs many columns (too many to do
manually with alt-enter) joined together in this particular way:

A1: textA
B1: textB

I need to join these two cells with a carriage return like so:

C1: textA
textB

Everything I have tried as a carriage return has only given me the
–¡ character instead of a carriage return. Is there a way to do
this?

--
rubeus
rubeus's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=36121
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=558967

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try:
=A1&CHAR(10)&B1

Note: Until you go in and change the format so that text wraps, it will
(most likely) look funny and not appear to have worked.

Format-cells-alignment-wrap text
--
Kevin Vaughn

"rubeus" wrote:

Hi, I have a large table which needs many columns (too many to do
manually with alt-enter) joined together in this particular way:

A1: textA
B1: textB

I need to join these two cells with a carriage return like so:

C1: textA
textB

Everything I have tried as a carriage return has only given me the
–¡ character instead of a carriage return. Is there a way to do
this?

--
rubeus
rubeus's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=36121
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=558967

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"rubeus" wrote in
message ...

Hi, I have a large table which needs many columns (too many to do
manually with alt-enter) joined together in this particular way:

A1: textA
B1: textB

I need to join these two cells with a carriage return like so:

C1: textA
textB

Everything I have tried as a carriage return has only given me the
□ character instead of a carriage return. Is there a way to do
this?

=A1&CHAR(10)&B1
(and remember to format C1 with text wrapping enabled).
--
David Biddulph

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

In C1 enter =A1 & CHAR(10) & B1

Double-click on the fill handle of C1 to copy down.

Format Column C to wrap text.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP