Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Terry Bennett

Default Entering historic dates

Sorry if this is a very basic query ...

I have to enter a large number of dates into a spreadsheet during the period
1972 - 1976. Obviously, if you just enter a date into Excel using the
keystrokes 28/6, it assumes that you are referring to the current year. As
I will be entering the data in chronological order, how can I avoid having
to type 28/6/1973, 1/7/1973, 5/7/1973, etc all the time? Is there a way I
can get Excel to treat all the dates as being in a particular past year ...
or can I enter them all as this year and then change them in blocks somehow?

Any advice appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

No, Excel will always select the current year

Peo Sjoblom

Excel 95 - Excel 2007
Northwest Excel Solutions
www.nwexcelsolutions.com
if you are in one stop digging." Lord Healey

"Terry Bennett" wrote in message
Sorry if this is a very basic query ...

I have to enter a large number of dates into a spreadsheet during the
period 1972 - 1976. Obviously, if you just enter a date into Excel using
the keystrokes 28/6, it assumes that you are referring to the current
year. As I will be entering the data in chronological order, how can I
avoid having to type 28/6/1973, 1/7/1973, 5/7/1973, etc all the time? Is
there a way I can get Excel to treat all the dates as being in a
particular past year ... or can I enter them all as this year and then
change them in blocks somehow?

Any advice appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Marcelo

Hi, Terry

try to put in a2 (eg)

28/06/1973
on a3 put =a2+1 (and excel will return 29/06/1973)
copy it down
format as you need

hth
regards from Brazil
Marcelo

"Terry Bennett" escreveu:

Sorry if this is a very basic query ...

I have to enter a large number of dates into a spreadsheet during the period
1972 - 1976. Obviously, if you just enter a date into Excel using the
keystrokes 28/6, it assumes that you are referring to the current year. As
I will be entering the data in chronological order, how can I avoid having
to type 28/6/1973, 1/7/1973, 5/7/1973, etc all the time? Is there a way I
can get Excel to treat all the dates as being in a particular past year ...
or can I enter them all as this year and then change them in blocks somehow?

Any advice appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

You could adapt this macro to fit your needs

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DateTimeEntry.htm

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Roger Govier

Hi Terry

You could enter all your dates as the current year in column A.
Then in B1 enter
=DATE(1973,MONTH(A1),DAY(A1))
and copy down as far as required.
Copy all of the data in column B and Paste SpecialValues to "fix" the
data as 1973.
Repeat process for other year's required.

--
Regards

Roger Govier