Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Roger Govier

Default Entering historic dates

Hi Terry

You could enter all your dates as the current year in column A.
Then in B1 enter
=DATE(1973,MONTH(A1),DAY(A1))
and copy down as far as required.
Copy all of the data in column B and Paste SpecialValues to "fix" the
data as 1973.
Repeat process for other year's required.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Terry Bennett" wrote in message
Sorry if this is a very basic query ...

I have to enter a large number of dates into a spreadsheet during the
period 1972 - 1976. Obviously, if you just enter a date into Excel
using the keystrokes 28/6, it assumes that you are referring to the
current year. As I will be entering the data in chronological order,
how can I avoid having to type 28/6/1973, 1/7/1973, 5/7/1973, etc all
the time? Is there a way I can get Excel to treat all the dates as
being in a particular past year ... or can I enter them all as this
year and then change them in blocks somehow?

Any advice appreciated!