Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dawn

Default Add multiple vlookup results

I have a spreadsheet that contains names of groups and numerical results for
them as below.
Column A Column B
Frame .50
Build .25
Assy 1 .33
Build 1.5

I need to write a formula that will look for all the occurances of "Build"
and add the numerical amounts together. I've been trying to do it with
vlookup, but maybe that's not the best choice. Does anyone know the best way
to do this?

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Vito

Try

=Sumif(A2:A10,"Build",B2:B10)

adjust ranges to suit.

--
Vito
Vito's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29182

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Marcelo

Hi Dawn

try this

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A2:A5="Build"),(B2:B5))

HTH
Regards from Brazil
Marcelo

"Dawn" escreveu:

I have a spreadsheet that contains names of groups and numerical results for
them as below.
Column A Column B
Frame .50
Build .25
Assy 1 .33
Build 1.5

I need to write a formula that will look for all the occurances of "Build"
and add the numerical amounts together. I've been trying to do it with
vlookup, but maybe that's not the best choice. Does anyone know the best way
to do this?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Franz Verga

Nel post
*Dawn* ha scritto:

I have a spreadsheet that contains names of groups and numerical
results for them as below.
Column A Column B
Frame .50
Build .25
Assy 1 .33
Build 1.5

I need to write a formula that will look for all the occurances of
"Build" and add the numerical amounts together. I've been trying to
do it with vlookup, but maybe that's not the best choice. Does
anyone know the best way to do this?

Thanks!

I think th best way should by the function SUMIF:

=SUMIF(A2:A4,"Build",B2:B4)

--
Ciao

Franz Verga from Italy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dawn

Thanks to all of you! However, I don't think I explained it very well. I
actually have two spreadsheets; the first as detailed below, and the second
one looks like this.

Column A Column B
Frame XXX
Assy 1 XXX
Build XXX
Assy 2 XXX
Etc

In the second worksheet, I need to create a formula that will look for each
item in Column A in the first worksheet and populate Column B with the amount
listed next to the matched Department. Vlookup works very well for all
except the Build one because it has multiple entries in the first worksheet
that need to be added together. I'm sorry I didn't explain this better the
first time. I just figured you all knew what was in my head!! :)

Thanks!!

"Franz Verga" wrote:

Nel post
*Dawn* ha scritto:

I have a spreadsheet that contains names of groups and numerical
results for them as below.
Column A Column B
Frame .50
Build .25
Assy 1 .33
Build 1.5

I need to write a formula that will look for all the occurances of
"Build" and add the numerical amounts together. I've been trying to
do it with vlookup, but maybe that's not the best choice. Does
anyone know the best way to do this?

Thanks!

I think th best way should by the function SUMIF:

=SUMIF(A2:A4,"Build",B2:B4)

--
Ciao

Franz Verga from Italy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Marcelo

OK Dawn,

Assuming your data is on the WS 2 A2:B1000

on the WS1 use the formula
=sumproduct(--(ws2!$A$2:$A$1000=A2),(WS2!$B$2:$B$1000))

hope this helps
Regards from Brazil
Marcelo

"Dawn" escreveu:

[...]

"Franz Verga" wrote:

Nel post
*Dawn* ha scritto:

I have a spreadsheet that contains names of groups and numerical
results for them as below.
Column A Column B
Frame .50
Build .25
Assy 1 .33
Build 1.5

I need to write a formula that will look for all the occurances of
"Build" and add the numerical amounts together. I've been trying to
do it with vlookup, but maybe that's not the best choice. Does
anyone know the best way to do this?

Thanks!

I think th best way should by the function SUMIF:

=SUMIF(A2:A4,"Build",B2:B4)

--
Ciao

Franz Verga from Italy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Franz Verga

Nel post
*Dawn* ha scritto:

Thanks to all of you! However, I don't think I explained it very
well. I actually have two spreadsheets; the first as detailed below,
and the second one looks like this.

Column A Column B
Frame XXX
Assy 1 XXX
Build XXX
Assy 2 XXX
Etc

In the second worksheet, I need to create a formula that will look
for each item in Column A in the first worksheet and populate Column
B with the amount listed next to the matched Department. Vlookup
works very well for all except the Build one because it has multiple
entries in the first worksheet that need to be added together. I'm
sorry I didn't explain this better the first time. I just figured
you all knew what was in my head!! :)

Thanks!!

You have just to modify the formula; put this formula in B2 of your second
sheet and fill down:

=SUMIF(Sheet1!A2:A4,A2,Sheet1!B2:B4)

--
Ciao