Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Marcelo

Default Add multiple vlookup results

OK Dawn,

Assuming your data is on the WS 2 A2:B1000

on the WS1 use the formula
=sumproduct(--(ws2!$A$2:$A$1000=A2),(WS2!$B$2:$B$1000))

hope this helps
Regards from Brazil
Marcelo

"Dawn" escreveu:

Thanks to all of you! However, I don't think I explained it very well. I
actually have two spreadsheets; the first as detailed below, and the second
one looks like this.

Column A Column B
Frame XXX
Assy 1 XXX
Build XXX
Assy 2 XXX
Etc

In the second worksheet, I need to create a formula that will look for each
item in Column A in the first worksheet and populate Column B with the amount
listed next to the matched Department. Vlookup works very well for all
except the Build one because it has multiple entries in the first worksheet
that need to be added together. I'm sorry I didn't explain this better the
first time. I just figured you all knew what was in my head!! :)

Thanks!!

"Franz Verga" wrote:

Nel post
*Dawn* ha scritto:

I have a spreadsheet that contains names of groups and numerical
results for them as below.
Column A Column B
Frame .50
Build .25
Assy 1 .33
Build 1.5

I need to write a formula that will look for all the occurances of
"Build" and add the numerical amounts together. I've been trying to
do it with vlookup, but maybe that's not the best choice. Does
anyone know the best way to do this?

Thanks!

I think th best way should by the function SUMIF:

=SUMIF(A2:A4,"Build",B2:B4)

--
Ciao

Franz Verga from Italy