Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JulianB

Default How do I recover an Excel worksheet that I erased?

I accidently erased a work sheet that I was working on. How can I recover the
work?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR

Acouple of things to try..........
1-Look in the Recycle Bin on your desktop.....
Check the directory where the file came from, there may be a backup there or
2-some file with a weird name that you don't understand, but has a .xls
extention.
3-If the file was on a network, perhaps your MIS Dept would have a backup.
4-If you have emailed it to someone, they may have a copy or it may be in
your SENT files box.

hth
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"JulianB" wrote:

I accidently erased a work sheet that I was working on. How can I recover the
work?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR

Look in the directory where your Excel file came from using Windows Explorer.
Check all the filenames, to see if there is one similar to the one you were
working on, or if there is one with just some weird number code name that
dont make any sense but has a .xls extention. If you have not actually saved
the "erased" file, it may be there completely intact.

hth
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"JulianB" wrote:

I accidently erased a work sheet that I was working on. How can I recover the
work?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gord Dibben

A worksheet is part of a workbook which is a file.

Have you saved the workbook/file since the erasure of the sheet?

If so, your sheet and work is gone unless you had a backup.

If you have not yet saved the workbook/file just close without saving.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 11:29:02 -0700, JulianB
wrote:

I accidently erased a work sheet that I was working on. How can I recover the
work?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JulianB

I back up every 10 minutes. I did close the workbook. Is there any way of
recovering the workbook and or the spread sheet or is it too late

JulianB

wrote:

I accidently erased a work sheet that I was working on. How can I recover the
work?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gord Dibben

How do you backup every 10 minutes?

Are you using AutoSave add-in or do you mean you have AutoRecovery set for 10
minute intervals?

If the latter, you can recover the workbook only if Excel crashes.

When you say you closed the workbook did you Save?

Helps if you know the proper terms to describe things.

An Excel WorkBOOK is a file which contains one or more workSHEETS(tabs)

A Spreadsheet is the generic name for any type of file produced by any
application that is similar to Excel and uses a series of rows and columns
producing cells for calculations.

An explanation by John Walkenbach...............

In the realm of accounting jargon a "spread sheet" or spreadsheet was and is a
large sheet of paper with columns and rows that organizes data about
transactions for a business person to examine. It spreads or shows all of the
costs, income, taxes, and other related data on a single sheet of paper for a
manager to examine when making a decision.

Now........what exactly did you "erase" and how?

A worksheet or the workbook?

Others replying have assumed it is a workbook/file you erased.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

wrote:

I accidently erased a work sheet that I was working on. How can I recover the
work?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gord Dibben

Julian

If you have Autosave enabled you should have a backup avilable which could be no
more than 10 minutes old.

Look for *.bak if using Excel 2000 or earlier.

*.xlk if using 2002 or 2003

Since you have autosave.xla I am assuming 2000 or earlier but.........?

Gord

wrote:

I accidently erased a work sheet that I was working on. How can I recover the
work?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JulianB

Gord

I am using XP. I think it is too late to recover now. But I would like to
know how for the future.

Julian

wrote:

I accidently erased a work sheet that I was working on. How can I recover the
work?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gord Dibben

If you're using Excel 2002 or 2003, there is no Autosave in XL2002 and 2003 as
there was in earlier versions.

Autorecovery from ToolsOptionsSave is it. This is not the same as Autosave
which made true incremental saves at intervals and alerted you before saving.

Autorecovery just saves a temporary file which it deletes if Excel closes
normally without incident.

BTW.....Dave Peterson reports that he tried an earlier version of Autosave.xla
in XL2002 and it seemed to work fine.

I have also tried the Autosave.XLA from XL97 and does the job.

To download the 97 version go here.....

http://www.stat.jmu.edu/trep/Marchat/sp2001/Library.htm

In addition to the above......Jan Karel Pieterse has an addin called AutoSafe
which also doen't alert before saving.

It doesn't overwrite the existing workbook when it saves. It saves to a user
selectable folder. And when it's done, it either deletes these backups (or
puts them in the recycle bin). And the user can always restore the backups
from the recycle bin.

http://www.jkp-ads.com/Download.htm

(look for AutoSafe.zip)

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP