Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Christina

Default IF function with date

This seems really basic, but I looked and looked and couldn't find an
answer....

A B C
Date Wage OT Calc
2/1/2000 $7.50
1/1/2000 $8.00

In column C, I want the calculation to take the wage and double it, if the
date in A1 is on or after 2/1/2000. Thanks in advance!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

Hi!

A couple of things:

1/1/2000

That's obviously Jan 1 2000.

if the date in A1 is on or after 2/1/2000

Is that Jan 2 2000 or Feb 1 2000 ?

Also, based on your little table wouldn't that date be in A2?

Try this:

=IF(AND(COUNT(A2:B2)=2,A2=DATE(2000,?,?)),B2*2,"" )

Replace the ?'s with the month and day.

Biff

"Christina" wrote in message
This seems really basic, but I looked and looked and couldn't find an
answer....

A B C
Date Wage OT Calc
2/1/2000 $7.50
1/1/2000 $8.00

In column C, I want the calculation to take the wage and double it, if the
date in A1 is on or after 2/1/2000. Thanks in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Christina

Thank you very much. Just a follow up question and some clarification. Yep,
you're right, the first actual date would have been in cell A2. And, the
format I'm using is m/d/yyyy. So, your function works, but I'm a little
confused about why I need the COUNT function? If I just use

=IF(A2=DATE(2000,2,1)),B2*2,"") rather than
=IF(AND(COUNT(A2:B2)=2,A2=DATE(2000,?,?)),B2*2,"" )

it seems to work. What am I missing? _c

"Biff" wrote:

Hi!

A couple of things:

1/1/2000

That's obviously Jan 1 2000.

"Christina" wrote in message
This seems really basic, but I looked and looked and couldn't find an
answer....

A B C
Date Wage OT Calc
2/1/2000 $7.50
1/1/2000 $8.00

In column C, I want the calculation to take the wage and double it, if the
date in A1 is on or after 2/1/2000. Thanks in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

The Count function is just to make sure that both a true Excel date and a
wage value have been entered. That way, the formula cell doesn't display an
intermediate incorrect result. For example, without the Count function, if
you enter a date that meets the criteria before you enter a wage the formula
would return 0 until you also enter the wage. With the Count function the
formula cell remains blank until both values have been entered.

Biff

"Christina" wrote in message
Thank you very much. Just a follow up question and some clarification.
Yep,
you're right, the first actual date would have been in cell A2. And, the
format I'm using is m/d/yyyy. So, your function works, but I'm a little
confused about why I need the COUNT function? If I just use

=IF(A2=DATE(2000,2,1)),B2*2,"") rather than
=IF(AND(COUNT(A2:B2)=2,A2=DATE(2000,?,?)),B2*2,"" )

it seems to work. What am I missing? _c

"Biff" wrote:

Hi!

A couple of things:

1/1/2000

That's obviously Jan 1 2000.

"Christina" wrote in message
This seems really basic, but I looked and looked and couldn't find an
answer....

A B C
Date Wage OT Calc
2/1/2000 $7.50
1/1/2000 $8.00

In column C, I want the calculation to take the wage and double it, if
the
date in A1 is on or after 2/1/2000. Thanks in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Christina

You are clearly smarter than I ! Thanks for explaining, I definitely get it
now! _c

"Christina" wrote in message
Thank you very much. Just a follow up question and some clarification.
Yep,
you're right, the first actual date would have been in cell A2. And, the
format I'm using is m/d/yyyy. So, your function works, but I'm a little
confused about why I need the COUNT function? If I just use

=IF(A2=DATE(2000,2,1)),B2*2,"") rather than
=IF(AND(COUNT(A2:B2)=2,A2=DATE(2000,?,?)),B2*2,"" )

it seems to work. What am I missing? _c

"Biff" wrote:

Hi!

A couple of things:

1/1/2000

That's obviously Jan 1 2000.

"Christina" wrote in message
This seems really basic, but I looked and looked and couldn't find an
answer....

A B C
Date Wage OT Calc
2/1/2000 $7.50
1/1/2000 $8.00

In column C, I want the calculation to take the wage and double it, if
the
date in A1 is on or after 2/1/2000. Thanks in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

Biff

"Christina" wrote in message
Thank you very much. Just a follow up question and some clarification.
Yep,
you're right, the first actual date would have been in cell A2. And,
the
format I'm using is m/d/yyyy. So, your function works, but I'm a
little
confused about why I need the COUNT function? If I just use

=IF(A2=DATE(2000,2,1)),B2*2,"") rather than
=IF(AND(COUNT(A2:B2)=2,A2=DATE(2000,?,?)),B2*2,"" )

it seems to work. What am I missing? _c

"Biff" wrote:

Hi!

A couple of things:

1/1/2000

That's obviously Jan 1 2000.

"Christina" wrote in message
This seems really basic, but I looked and looked and couldn't find
an
answer....

A B C
Date Wage OT Calc