Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob

Default Counting only Unique cells

I have a column (within a database) containing hundreds of Project Numbers
(e.g., P8763, PA3229, P1090.1, etc.), and the same Project Number can appear
more than once in the column. I need to count the number of unique Project
Numbers within that column, based on the criteria of another column. Is
there a way to do that using a combination of the DCOUNTA function and a
formula? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron de Bruin

Start here

Regards Ron De Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Bob" wrote in message ...
I have a column (within a database) containing hundreds of Project Numbers
(e.g., P8763, PA3229, P1090.1, etc.), and the same Project Number can appear
more than once in the column. I need to count the number of unique Project
Numbers within that column, based on the criteria of another column. Is
there a way to do that using a combination of the DCOUNTA function and a
formula? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob

Ron,
Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately, there was no example (or
solution) that counts unique cells (within a database) containing text at the
URL you provided.
Do you know of any other sites I can try?
Thanks again.
Bob

"Ron de Bruin" wrote:

Start here

Regards Ron De Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Bob" wrote in message ...
I have a column (within a database) containing hundreds of Project Numbers
(e.g., P8763, PA3229, P1090.1, etc.), and the same Project Number can appear
more than once in the column. I need to count the number of unique Project
Numbers within that column, based on the criteria of another column. Is
there a way to do that using a combination of the DCOUNTA function and a
formula? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi

Try he
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplic...CountingUnique

Andy.

"Bob" wrote in message
Ron,
Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately, there was no example (or
solution) that counts unique cells (within a database) containing text at
the
URL you provided.
Do you know of any other sites I can try?
Thanks again.
Bob

"Ron de Bruin" wrote:

Start here

Regards Ron De Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Bob" wrote in message
I have a column (within a database) containing hundreds of Project
Numbers
(e.g., P8763, PA3229, P1090.1, etc.), and the same Project Number can
appear
more than once in the column. I need to count the number of unique
Project
Numbers within that column, based on the criteria of another column.
Is
there a way to do that using a combination of the DCOUNTA function and
formula? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron de Bruin

Try this array formula

Count unique items in data(text, values, Formulas)

=SUM(IF(LEN(data),1/COUNTIF(data,data)))

--
Regards Ron De Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Bob" wrote in message ...
Ron,
Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately, there was no example (or
solution) that counts unique cells (within a database) containing text at the
URL you provided.
Do you know of any other sites I can try?
Thanks again.
Bob

"Ron de Bruin" wrote:

Start here

Regards Ron De Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Bob" wrote in message ...
I have a column (within a database) containing hundreds of Project Numbers
(e.g., P8763, PA3229, P1090.1, etc.), and the same Project Number can appear
more than once in the column. I need to count the number of unique Project
Numbers within that column, based on the criteria of another column. Is
there a way to do that using a combination of the DCOUNTA function and a
formula? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob

Andy,
Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately , there was no example (or
solution) that counts unique cells (within a DATABASE) containing text at the
URL you provided. I need to use the DCOUNTA function.

"Bob" wrote in message
Ron,
Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately, there was no example (or
solution) that counts unique cells (within a database) containing text at
the
URL you provided.
Do you know of any other sites I can try?
Thanks again.
Bob

"Ron de Bruin" wrote:

Start here

Regards Ron De Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Bob" wrote in message
I have a column (within a database) containing hundreds of Project
Numbers
(e.g., P8763, PA3229, P1090.1, etc.), and the same Project Number can
appear
more than once in the column. I need to count the number of unique
Project
Numbers within that column, based on the criteria of another column.
Is
there a way to do that using a combination of the DCOUNTA function and
formula? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob

Ron,
Thanks again, but I am looking for a solution that works in an Excel
"database", and specifically, in conjunction with the DCOUNTA function.
Bob

"Bob" wrote in message ...
Ron,
Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately, there was no example (or
solution) that counts unique cells (within a database) containing text at the
URL you provided.
Do you know of any other sites I can try?
Thanks again.
Bob

"Ron de Bruin" wrote:

Start here

Regards Ron De Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Bob" wrote in message ...
I have a column (within a database) containing hundreds of Project Numbers
(e.g., P8763, PA3229, P1090.1, etc.), and the same Project Number can appear
more than once in the column. I need to count the number of unique Project
Numbers within that column, based on the criteria of another column. Is
there a way to do that using a combination of the DCOUNTA function and a
formula? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

Why would you need DCOUNTA?

Peo Sjoblom

Excel 95 - Excel 2007
Northwest Excel Solutions
www.nwexcelsolutions.com
if you are in one stop digging." Lord Healey

Andy,

"Bob" wrote in message
Ron,
Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately, there was no example (or
solution) that counts unique cells (within a database) containing text
at
the
URL you provided.
Do you know of any other sites I can try?
Thanks again.
Bob

"Ron de Bruin" wrote:

Start here

Regards Ron De Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Bob" wrote in message
I have a column (within a database) containing hundreds of Project
Numbers
(e.g., P8763, PA3229, P1090.1, etc.), and the same Project Number
can
appear
more than once in the column. I need to count the number of unique
Project
Numbers within that column, based on the criteria of another column.
Is
there a way to do that using a combination of the DCOUNTA function
and
formula? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob

Because I want to count only certain Project Numbers based on the criteria
contained within another column. And the only way I know how to do this is
using a database function like DCOUNTA. If you know of a non-database method
that will accomplish the SAME result, I'm all ears.
Thanks.

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

Why would you need DCOUNTA?

Peo Sjoblom

Excel 95 - Excel 2007
Northwest Excel Solutions
www.nwexcelsolutions.com
if you are in one stop digging." Lord Healey

Andy,

"Bob" wrote in message
Ron,
Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately, there was no example (or
solution) that counts unique cells (within a database) containing text
at
the
URL you provided.
Do you know of any other sites I can try?
Thanks again.
Bob

"Ron de Bruin" wrote:

Start here

Regards Ron De Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Bob" wrote in message
I have a column (within a database) containing hundreds of Project
Numbers
(e.g., P8763, PA3229, P1090.1, etc.), and the same Project Number
can
appear
more than once in the column. I need to count the number of unique
Project
Numbers within that column, based on the criteria of another column.
Is
there a way to do that using a combination of the DCOUNTA function
and
formula? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

Assume the criteria range is B5:B500 and the range you want to count is
A5:A500 (adapt to fit your requirements)

=COUNT(1/FREQUENCY(IF(B$5:B$500=D2,MATCH(A$5:A$500,A$5:A$50 0,0)),ROW(A$5:A$500)-ROW(A$5)+1))

entered with ctrl + shift & enter will return the distinct count of values
in A5:A500 where B5:B500 (courtesy of Domenic)

another way would be to use advanced filter which is similar to the D
functions criteria wise, where you can use a formula like

=SUBTOTAL(3,$A$5:$A$500)

make sure there is a header in B4, put the header in D1 and the criteria in
D2

apply the filter on A4:B500 and the criteria range is $D$1:$D$2
select unique records only and click OK Now the subtotal formula will give
you the count

After you are done select show all from the datafilter menu

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

Why would you need DCOUNTA?

Peo Sjoblom

Excel 95 - Excel 2007
Northwest Excel Solutions
www.nwexcelsolutions.com
if you are in one stop digging." Lord Healey

Andy,

"Bob" wrote in message
Ron,
Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately, there was no example (or
solution) that counts unique cells (within a database) containing
text
at
the
URL you provided.
Do you know of any other sites I can try?
Thanks again.
Bob

"Ron de Bruin" wrote:

Start here

Regards Ron De Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Bob" wrote in message
I have a column (within a database) containing hundreds of Project
Numbers
(e.g., P8763, PA3229, P1090.1, etc.), and the same Project Number
can
appear
more than once in the column. I need to count the number of
unique
Project
Numbers within that column, based on the criteria of another
column.
Is
there a way to do that using a combination of the DCOUNTA
function
and
formula? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob

Peo,

Thanks!! I was hoping to avoid the use of the Advanced Filter since it is
an extra step I would need to remember every time the data is updated and the
query is re-run.

I will also try your first solution. Thanks again for all your help.

Bob

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

Why would you need DCOUNTA?

Peo Sjoblom

Excel 95 - Excel 2007
Northwest Excel Solutions
www.nwexcelsolutions.com
if you are in one stop digging." Lord Healey

Andy,

"Bob" wrote in message
Ron,
Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately, there was no example (or
solution) that counts unique cells (within a database) containing
text
at
the
URL you provided.
Do you know of any other sites I can try?
Thanks again.
Bob

"Ron de Bruin" wrote:

Start here

Regards Ron De Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Bob" wrote in message
I have a column (within a database) containing hundreds of Project
Numbers
(e.g., P8763, PA3229, P1090.1, etc.), and the same Project Number
can
appear
more than once in the column. I need to count the number of
unique
Project
Numbers within that column, based on the criteria of another
column.
Is
there a way to do that using a combination of the DCOUNTA
function
and
formula? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

I forgot to mention that D2 holds the criteria in the first solution

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

Why would you need DCOUNTA?

Peo Sjoblom

Excel 95 - Excel 2007
Northwest Excel Solutions
www.nwexcelsolutions.com
if you are in one stop digging." Lord Healey

Andy,

"Bob" wrote in message
Ron,
Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately, there was no example
(or
solution) that counts unique cells (within a database) containing
text
at
the
URL you provided.
Do you know of any other sites I can try?
Thanks again.
Bob

"Ron de Bruin" wrote:

Start here