SteW

Default Counting cells, similar values

Is it possible to get excel to count the cells in a worksheet which contain a
text similar to a value?

eg If I wanted it to count the number of cells which contains the word
"apples", but in some cells it might be spelt "aples" or "appls"?
I know in that instance I could just run a spell check, but you get the idea.

SteW

Yeah I know I can do that, but if the text doesn't match exactly what I put
in quotation marks it won't be counted. Eg If I want it to count "Hello" and
someone's input "Hello." it won't be counted. Can't I get it to count things
that are similar to "hello"?

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

=COUNTIF(A1:A1000,"mytext")

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"SteW" wrote in message
Is it possible to get excel to count the cells in a worksheet which

contain a
text similar to a value?

eg If I wanted it to count the number of cells which contains the word
"apples", but in some cells it might be spelt "aples" or "appls"?
I know in that instance I could just run a spell check, but you get the

idea.

Bob Phillips

Why didn't you say so.

=COUNTIF(A1:A1000,"*mytext*")

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"SteW" wrote in message
Yeah I know I can do that, but if the text doesn't match exactly what I

put
in quotation marks it won't be counted. Eg If I want it to count "Hello"

and
someone's input "Hello." it won't be counted. Can't I get it to count

things
that are similar to "hello"?

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

=COUNTIF(A1:A1000,"mytext")

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"SteW" wrote in message
Is it possible to get excel to count the cells in a worksheet which

contain a
text similar to a value?

eg If I wanted it to count the number of cells which contains the word
"apples", but in some cells it might be spelt "aples" or "appls"?
I know in that instance I could just run a spell check, but you get

the
idea.

Bob Phillips

But it won't find helo though.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"SteW" wrote in message
Yeah I know I can do that, but if the text doesn't match exactly what I

put
in quotation marks it won't be counted. Eg If I want it to count "Hello"

and
someone's input "Hello." it won't be counted. Can't I get it to count

things
that are similar to "hello"?

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

=COUNTIF(A1:A1000,"mytext")

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"SteW" wrote in message
Is it possible to get excel to count the cells in a worksheet which

contain a
text similar to a value?

eg If I wanted it to count the number of cells which contains the word
"apples", but in some cells it might be spelt "aples" or "appls"?
I know in that instance I could just run a spell check, but you get

the
idea.

How does Excel know what is *similar* to Hello? Is it Helo, Heloo, Helloo,
or Gello? Or is it none of these?

--
Andy.

"SteW" wrote in message
Yeah I know I can do that, but if the text doesn't match exactly what I
put
in quotation marks it won't be counted. Eg If I want it to count "Hello"
and
someone's input "Hello." it won't be counted. Can't I get it to count
things
that are similar to "hello"?

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

=COUNTIF(A1:A1000,"mytext")

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"SteW" wrote in message
Is it possible to get excel to count the cells in a worksheet which

contain a
text similar to a value?

eg If I wanted it to count the number of cells which contains the word
"apples", but in some cells it might be spelt "aples" or "appls"?
I know in that instance I could just run a spell check, but you get the

idea.

SteW

Ok, thanks fella :-)
There's no way to search for things similar to something then?

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

But it won't find helo though.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"SteW" wrote in message
Yeah I know I can do that, but if the text doesn't match exactly what I

put
in quotation marks it won't be counted. Eg If I want it to count "Hello"

and
someone's input "Hello." it won't be counted. Can't I get it to count

things
that are similar to "hello"?

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

=COUNTIF(A1:A1000,"mytext")

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"SteW" wrote in message
Is it possible to get excel to count the cells in a worksheet which
contain a
text similar to a value?

eg If I wanted it to count the number of cells which contains the word
"apples", but in some cells it might be spelt "aples" or "appls"?
I know in that instance I could just run a spell check, but you get

the
idea.

Bob Phillips

Not really, your similar is my nowhere near. You could set some rules but
that would be manual.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"SteW" wrote in message
Ok, thanks fella :-)
There's no way to search for things similar to something then?

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

But it won't find helo though.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"SteW" wrote in message
Yeah I know I can do that, but if the text doesn't match exactly what

put
in quotation marks it won't be counted. Eg If I want it to count

"Hello"
and
someone's input "Hello." it won't be counted. Can't I get it to count

things
that are similar to "hello"?

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

=COUNTIF(A1:A1000,"mytext")