Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

Default Counting only Unique cells

I forgot to mention that D2 holds the criteria in the first solution

Peo Sjoblom

Excel 95 - Excel 2007
Northwest Excel Solutions
www.nwexcelsolutions.com
if you are in one stop digging." Lord Healey

"Bob" wrote in message
Peo,

Thanks!! I was hoping to avoid the use of the Advanced Filter since it is
an extra step I would need to remember every time the data is updated and
the
query is re-run.

I will also try your first solution. Thanks again for all your help.

Bob

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

Assume the criteria range is B5:B500 and the range you want to count is
A5:A500 (adapt to fit your requirements)

=COUNT(1/FREQUENCY(IF(B$5:B$500=D2,MATCH(A$5:A$500,A$5:A$50 0,0)),ROW(A$5:A$500)-ROW(A$5)+1))

entered with ctrl + shift & enter will return the distinct count of
values
in A5:A500 where B5:B500 (courtesy of Domenic)

another way would be to use advanced filter which is similar to the D
functions criteria wise, where you can use a formula like

=SUBTOTAL(3,$A$5:$A$500)

make sure there is a header in B4, put the header in D1 and the criteria
in
D2

apply the filter on A4:B500 and the criteria range is $D$1:$D$2
select unique records only and click OK Now the subtotal formula will
give
you the count

After you are done select show all from the datafilter menu

Peo Sjoblom

Excel 95 - Excel 2007
Northwest Excel Solutions
www.nwexcelsolutions.com
if you are in one stop digging." Lord Healey

"Bob" wrote in message
Because I want to count only certain Project Numbers based on the
criteria
contained within another column. And the only way I know how to do
this
is
using a database function like DCOUNTA. If you know of a non-database
method
that will accomplish the SAME result, I'm all ears.
Thanks.

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

Why would you need DCOUNTA?

Peo Sjoblom

Excel 95 - Excel 2007
Northwest Excel Solutions
www.nwexcelsolutions.com
if you are in one stop digging." Lord Healey

"Bob" wrote in message
Andy,
Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately , there was no example
(or
solution) that counts unique cells (within a DATABASE) containing
text
at
the
URL you provided. I need to use the DCOUNTA function.
Do you know of any other sites I can try?
Thanks again.
Bob

"Andy" wrote:

Hi

Try he
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplic...CountingUnique

Andy.

"Bob" wrote in message
Ron,
Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately, there was no example
(or
solution) that counts unique cells (within a database) containing
text
at
the
URL you provided.
Do you know of any other sites I can try?
Thanks again.
Bob

"Ron de Bruin" wrote:

Start here

Regards Ron De Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Bob" wrote in message
I have a column (within a database) containing hundreds of
Project
Numbers
(e.g., P8763, PA3229, P1090.1, etc.), and the same Project
Number
can
appear
more than once in the column. I need to count the number of
unique
Project
Numbers within that column, based on the criteria of another
column.
Is
there a way to do that using a combination of the DCOUNTA
function
and
formula? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.