Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Christobo

Default Password protect cells

I would like to protect six to ten cells within excel. But the cell protected
by one can ont be accessed by another, i.e. - I need to allow for multiple
uses to protect their own cells within the same excell sheet.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Louise

Hi
Go into Tools, Protection, Allow Users to Edit Ranges and go throug the
instructions. This allows you to protect cells for certain users only. If
anybody else tries to type into the cell, they will be prompted for a
password which you will set.

HTH
Louise
"Christobo" wrote:

I would like to protect six to ten cells within excel. But the cell protected
by one can ont be accessed by another, i.e. - I need to allow for multiple
uses to protect their own cells within the same excell sheet.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Christobo

Thank you for the response. I am not sure where to apply your comments within
the protection process. The steps that I am taking now are to high-light the
entire sheet, format-cells-protection tab-uncheck the lock box, I then select
the cells I want to lock and then, format-cells-protection tab-check the lock
box, I then protect the file by selection tools-protection-entire sheet -
obviously my process is incorrect - I am not sure where within my process to
implement your comments. I apologize if I am missing the boat here.

"Christobo" wrote:

I would like to protect six to ten cells within excel. But the cell protected
by one can ont be accessed by another, i.e. - I need to allow for multiple
uses to protect their own cells within the same excell sheet.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Louise

Hello.
Try the following, let me know if it works.......

1. Click onto Tools, choose Protection and click onto Allow users to Edit
Ranges. (This command is only available when the worksheet is not protected).

2. Click onto New.

3. In the Title box, type a title for the range you are granting access to.

4. Click onto Refers to Cells, type an equal sign (=) and select the cell(s)
you wish this specific user to be able to gain access to.

5. In the Range Password section, type a password to access the range. (The
password is optional, however, if you dont supply a password, any user will
be able to edit the cells).

6. Click Permissions€¦ and then choose Add.

You must now enter the details of the user(s) you wish to gain access to
this password-protected section.

7. Enter the name of the user and click onto Check Names. This will ensure
that Excel recognises the user.

8. Click onto Ok twice. If prompted, re-enter the password.

9. Click onto Protect Sheet. (You are now protecting the rest of the
worksheet, as normal).

10. In the Protect Sheet dialog box, enter a password for the worksheet,
re-enter when prompted.

11. Choose OK.

The whole worksheet has now been €˜locked to prevent changes being made by
other users. The user you specified earlier can gain access to the
designated cell(s) after entering the password.

"Christobo" wrote:

I would like to protect six to ten cells within excel. But the cell protected
by one can ont be accessed by another, i.e. - I need to allow for multiple
uses to protect their own cells within the same excell sheet.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

i am trying to do the same as Christobo did.

I have first ensure all cells in the sheet are 'locked'
then i follow below instruction to select range of cells and identify the
user and set passwork also.
but when i sent the file for my colleague to test,
1) he cant type any cells
2) the range of cells also he cant change

please advise where went wrong.

thanks
cyc

"Christobo" wrote:

I would like to protect six to ten cells within excel. But the cell protected
by one can ont be accessed by another, i.e. - I need to allow for multiple
uses to protect their own cells within the same excell sheet.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Unlock the data entry cells.

--
Regards
Dave Hawley

"Christobo" wrote:

I would like to protect six to ten cells within excel. But the
cell protected
by one can ont be accessed by another, i.e. - I need to allow for
multiple
uses to protect their own cells within the same excell sheet.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

my colleague is using same xl2007 also.
i unlocked selected cells (those required data entry) for him.
and protect the sheet again and send to him.
but he still cant enter any data.

P/S: i did not select any criteria in selection box when i protect the whole
sheet, does it related?

please advise.... :(

thanks

"Christobo" wrote:

I would like to protect six to ten cells within excel. But the cell protected
by one can ont be accessed by another, i.e. - I need to allow for multiple
uses to protect their own cells within the same excell sheet.

--

Dave Peterson
.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If the cells are unlocked, then anyone should be able to make changes to the
values in those cells.

Is there a chance that the person is copy|pasting from a different location and
then when they try to make changes, it fails????

ps. Your current description doesn't match the previous description. I'd
double check what I was doing (once more!). Maybe it was something simple.