Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
ChuckNC

Default How do I parse columns?

it doesn't appear to be a simple text to columns function. here's what i want
to do:

i have cell that contains :02110610 and I want to reduce it to 010. is there
a formula, or the like, that will strip out the the first four characters
(:021) and the last three characters (610) and then add a zero, so i end up
with 010? can i do this in a column on one row and then drag it down +/- 2300
rows of data? thanks a multitude, in advance, for your help, folks.
-chuck

p.s. pls forgive my ignorance of the proper language for this stuff.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Marcelo

Chuck,

try

="0"&mid(a3,5,2)

hope its help

Marcelo from Brazil

"ChuckNC" escreveu:

it doesn't appear to be a simple text to columns function. here's what i want
to do:

i have cell that contains :02110610 and I want to reduce it to 010. is there
a formula, or the like, that will strip out the the first four characters
(:021) and the last three characters (610) and then add a zero, so i end up
with 010? can i do this in a column on one row and then drag it down +/- 2300
rows of data? thanks a multitude, in advance, for your help, folks.
-chuck

p.s. pls forgive my ignorance of the proper language for this stuff.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
David Biddulph

"ChuckNC" wrote in message
it doesn't appear to be a simple text to columns function. here's what i
want
to do:

i have cell that contains :02110610 and I want to reduce it to 010. is
there
a formula, or the like, that will strip out the the first four characters
(:021) and the last three characters (610) and then add a zero, so i end
up
with 010? can i do this in a column on one row and then drag it down +/-
2300
rows of data? thanks a multitude, in advance, for your help, folks.
-chuck

p.s. pls forgive my ignorance of the proper language for this stuff.

=0&MID(A1,5,LEN(A1)-7) and copy this down the other rows.
--
David Biddulph

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
ChuckNC