Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
James E Middleton

Default Conditional formatting works, is there a better way?

Using Excel to track students' grades on weekly quizzes, scored 1-10. Each
week, the results are posted. According to policy, we are allowed to post
scores of 9 or 10. We print the entire student list with the grades but
before doing so, using Conditional Formatting we format 'cell value is less
than or equal to 8' change the font to white, and all the scores disappear.

Is there a macro I could use for the target cell so that when printing, the
low scores would not print without using Conditional Formatting?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
James E Middleton

Default #2 - Conditional formatting works, is there a better way? EDIT

"James E Middleton" wrote in message
Using Excel to track students' grades on weekly quizzes, scored 1-10. Each
week, the results are posted. According to policy, we are allowed to post
only scores of 9 or 10. We print the entire student list with the grades
but before doing so, using Conditional Formatting we format 'cell value is
less than or equal to 8' change the font to white, and all the low scores
disappear.

Is there a macro I could use for the target cell so that when printing,
the low scores would not print without using Conditional Formatting?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jim Cone

Select the cells you don't want to print.
(multiple selections will work)
Run the code shown below.
Print
Run the macro again.
Better?
'-----
Sub HideTheBadNews()
If Selection.NumberFormat = "General" Then
Selection.NumberFormat = ";;;"
Else
Selection.NumberFormat = "General"
'----------
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"James E Middleton"

wrote in message
Using Excel to track students' grades on weekly quizzes, scored 1-10. Each
week, the results are posted. According to policy, we are allowed to post
scores of 9 or 10. We print the entire student list with the grades but
before doing so, using Conditional Formatting we format 'cell value is less
than or equal to 8' change the font to white, and all the scores disappear.

Is there a macro I could use for the target cell so that when printing, the
low scores would not print without using Conditional Formatting?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
James E Middleton

Thanks, I'll give it a try today and post my results, hopefully, my success!

While I'm here... I'll ask you this: Is there a way to add code to that to
make the cells with the number 10 highlighted in a different color, or
should I stick to Conditional Formatting for that?

wrote in message
Using Excel to track students' grades on weekly quizzes, scored 1-10. Each
week, the results are posted. According to policy, we are allowed to post
scores of 9 or 10. We print the entire student list with the grades but
before doing so, using Conditional Formatting we format 'cell value is
less
than or equal to 8' change the font to white, and all the scores
disappear.

Is there a macro I could use for the target cell so that when printing,
the
low scores would not print without using Conditional Formatting?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
andy62

Wouldn't another simple way to do this be to have a column (C) that holds the
actual grades and then a "print" column (D) with a formula like,
"=IF(C2<9,"",C2)", then you jus hide the grades column before printing?

"James E Middleton" wrote:

Using Excel to track students' grades on weekly quizzes, scored 1-10. Each
week, the results are posted. According to policy, we are allowed to post
scores of 9 or 10. We print the entire student list with the grades but
before doing so, using Conditional Formatting we format 'cell value is less
than or equal to 8' change the font to white, and all the scores disappear.

Is there a macro I could use for the target cell so that when printing, the
low scores would not print without using Conditional Formatting?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jim Cone

Since you are selecting the cells you don't want to print,
it would be difficult to affect cells outside of the selection.
Why don't you just conditionally format the cells to color
all grades of 10. Don't use any other cf conditions on those cells.
Then just select grades of 8 or less and run the macro I submitted.

Note: the macro code assumes the grades are number formatted
as "General".
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

wrote in message
Using Excel to track students' grades on weekly quizzes, scored 1-10. Each
week, the results are posted. According to policy, we are allowed to post
scores of 9 or 10. We print the entire student list with the grades but
before doing so, using Conditional Formatting we format 'cell value is
less than or equal to 8' change the font to white, and all the scores
disappear.

Is there a macro I could use for the target cell so that when printing,
the low scores would not print without using Conditional Formatting?
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

Why use a macro (that is not automatic, you have to select it to run it)
when built-in functions like conditional formatting are available (and very
easy to apply in this case)?

Biff

wrote in message
Using Excel to track students' grades on weekly quizzes, scored 1-10.
Each
week, the results are posted. According to policy, we are allowed to post
scores of 9 or 10. We print the entire student list with the grades but
before doing so, using Conditional Formatting we format 'cell value is
less
than or equal to 8' change the font to white, and all the scores
disappear.

Is there a macro I could use for the target cell so that when printing,
the
low scores would not print without using Conditional Formatting?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
James E Middleton

Here's what is did:

Two worksheets: 'Grades' & 'Print-out'.

Linked the cell from 'Grades' to the 'Print-out' sheet. Conditional
Formatting as described below.

Originally, I asked because we were cutting and pasting, and sometimes the
format would be lost.

Now, when we enter the grades, the 'Print-out' sheet is created
simultaneously without having to cut and paste.

Thanks for all the input!