Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
maurices5000

Default Conditional Calculations???????

Ok, here is the deal. I have 3 columns. In the first column I have
description. In middle column i have charges for items in the other
column i have type of item.

Description ------ Price --- Type
Summary ---------$12.00 -- S
Carbon Copies --- $5.00 --- J
Diskettes ---------$10.00 -- S
Pens----------------$4.00 --- S
Table of Contents--$2.00 --- J
Mathematics C --- $24.00---- J

Everything with a J needs to be added together and everything with an S
need to be added together. SumIf doesn't seem to be the solution unless
I simply don't know what I'm doing--which is likely.

How can i do this?

thanks!

--
maurices5000
maurices5000's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=5229

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pete_UK

SUMIF should work - try this:

=SUMIF(C$2:C$100,"S",B$2:B$100), and
=SUMIF(C$2:C$100,"J",B$2:B$100)

These assume items to row 100 - adjust as necessary.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JethroUK©

you could try an array formula

=SUM((C2:C7="S")* B2:B7)

you need to enter this by CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER

"maurices5000"
wrote in message
news:maurices5000.27icry_1147123804.1631@excelforu m-nospam.com...

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions