gamebird

Default Conditional formula - language needed

IThe short version of this question is above the line......you can help
a lot if you respond to only THAT.

I am using Excel 2003 on an XP machine.

If two - -and only two - - of the values in each of these 10 cells in
row 7 (J7, N7, R7, V7, Z7, AD7, AH7, AL7, AP7, AT7) are zero I want to
take AW7 and divide it by 8 and multiply that difference by 2.

Here’s how I see doing it - thinking that i may have to have SEVERAL
conditional formulas in cells that will be summed to get my desired
result....

In one cell:

If j7=0 and n7 = 0 and r7 0 and v7 0 and z7 0 and ad7 0 and
ah7 0 and al7 0 and ap7 0 and at7 0, then (AW7/8)*2. (how do
you translate that into an Excel formula?)

in another cell

If j7=0 and n7 0 and r7 = 0 and v7 0 and z7 0 and ad7 0 and
ah7 0 and al7 0 and ap7 0 and at7 0, then (AW7/8)*2.

Etc…. with every combination of the two cells that could be zero…unless
there is a way to combine these formulas in one cell.

Getting the above info would be very helpful, but explaining why i need
it (below the line) may provide an even better solution. However, if you
don't want to read on - i will be happy extrapolating from the above
info for a workable solution.

____________________

I ask this question because:

1. I am entering values in each of ten columns (J, N, R, V, Z, AD, AH,
AL, AP, AT) and adding them together - along with summed values from
cells with conditional formulas - in a “total” column. (E)

2. If there is a zero value in any of the ten columns (J, N, R, V, Z,
AD, AH, AL, AP, AT,) the conditional values come into play. If there
is a zero value in one and only one of the ten columns, I want to
average the remaining columns and add that average to the total. If two
columns and only two have a zero value I want to average the remaining 8
columns and add that average TWICE to the total; if three columns have a
zero value I want to average the remaining 7 columns and add that
average THREE TIMES to the total, etc., for 4 columns having a zero
value, then 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, columns. I realize that this may have to be
accomplished with several conditional statements in cells that will then
be summed.

3. Column AW for each row sums the 10 columns mentioned in #1. It will
remain hidden and will be used in the conditional formulas to find the
averages.

4. Each conditional formula will look for “zero” values in each of the
ten columns and get an average of the columns that do NOT have a zero
value. It will also multiply that average by 2 if there are 2 “zero”
columns, 3 if there are 3 “zero” columns, 4,5,6, etc.

Thanks so much!!! Mary

--
gamebird
gamebird's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27963

JS2004R6

Hi gamebird,

Here's a forumula that you can use:

=IF(SUM(COUNTIF(J7,0),COUNTIF(N7,0),COUNTIF(R7,0), COUNTIF(V7,0),COUNTIF(Z7,0),COUNTIF(AD7,0),COUNTIF (AH7,0),COUNTIF(AL7,0),COUNTIF(AP7,0),COUNTIF(AT7, 0))=2,(AW7/8)*2,"No Calculation")

If two (and ONLY two) responses are zero, then it will calculate (AW7/8)*2,
if there are LESS or MORE than two responses with zero, then it will show "No
Calculation".

The forumula is made up of separate COUNTIF functions for each cell (e.g.,
=COUNTIF(J7,0) and so on). Each function will return either 0 or 1. If the
value in the Cell is 0 it will return 1. If it is anything other than 0 it
will return zero. Each of these return values are added up. If the SUM of
these return values equals 2 (and ONLY 2) then the calculation will occur. If
not the text "No Calculation" will occur.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
James

PS - You can't use a multiple range for the COUNTIF function so that's why
there are multiple functions.

"gamebird" wrote:

[...]

cells with conditional formulas - in a €śtotal€ť column. (E)

[...]

4. Each conditional formula will look for €śzero€ť values in each of the
ten columns and get an average of the columns that do NOT have a zero
value. It will also multiply that average by 2 if there are 2 €śzero€ť
columns, 3 if there are 3 €śzero€ť columns, 4,5,6, etc.

Thanks so much!!! Mary

--
gamebird
gamebird's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27963
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=474659

Biff

Hi!

Try this:

=IF(SUMPRODUCT(--(MOD(COLUMN(J7:AT7),4)=2),--(ISNUMBER(J7:AT7)),--(J7:AT7=0))=2,AW7/8*2,"")

Biff

"gamebird" wrote in
message ...

[...]

Alvin

from this point, i will call your cells (J7, N7, R7, V7, Z7, AD7, AH7, AL7,
AP7, AT7) as "myData".

this formula reads :
sum + zeros found * sum / total data which is not zero

in your case :
sum + zeros found * sum / (10 - zeros found)

=SUM(myData)+COUNTIF(myData,0)*(SUM(myData)/COUNTIF(myData,"<0")))

"gamebird" wrote:

[...]

Aladin Akyurek

Looks like, attempting to put all in a single formula:

=AVERAGE(IF((MOD(COLUMN($J$7:$AT$7)-COLUMN($J$7)+0,7)=0)*ISNUMBER($J$7:$AT$2),$J$7:$AT $7*MAX(1,SUM(($J$7:$AT$7=0)+0))))

which must be confirmed with control+shift+enter.
gamebird wrote:
[...]

[1] The SumProduct function should implicitly coerce the truth values to
their Excel numeric equivalents.
[2] The lookup functions should have an optional argument for the return
value, defaulting to #N/A in its absence.