Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Scott

Default Problem with MID (any text) Command

Hello,

I am having a problem getting my MID command to work. It's not necessarily a
problem with the MID command but rather any text command (MID, RIGHT, or
LEFT).

I've input the MID command =MID(cell,9,5) hoping that the formula would
return five characters. Unfortunately, the only output I get is my formula
"=MID(cell,9,5)" as opposed to seeing the five characters that start in the
ninth spot.

Here's what I've already done:
1. I've already gone to Tools - Options and "Formulas" is unchecked.
2. I've already gone to Format - Cells and changed the format to General
and also tried Number.

How can I get this formula to return the five characters I'm looking for
instead of having Excel just show me my formula?

Thanks in advance.
-Scott

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Elkar

Did you try reentering the formula after changing the format to General? Hit
F2, then Enter.

HTH,
Elkar

"Scott" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
SteveG

Scott,

Sounds like your cells were formatted as Text prior to entering the
function. When that is the case, the function will still appear in the
cell rather than it's result even if you change the format to General.
Try going to Edit, Clear, All. This will remove everything from the
cell you selected. Now type in the formula again.

Does that help?

Steve

--
SteveG