Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Scott

Default Problem with MID (any text) Command

Hello,

I am having a problem getting my MID command to work. It's not necessarily a
problem with the MID command but rather any text command (MID, RIGHT, or
LEFT).

I've input the MID command =MID(cell,9,5) hoping that the formula would
return five characters. Unfortunately, the only output I get is my formula
"=MID(cell,9,5)" as opposed to seeing the five characters that start in the
ninth spot.

Here's what I've already done:
1. I've already gone to Tools - Options and "Formulas" is unchecked.
2. I've already gone to Format - Cells and changed the format to General
and also tried Number.

How can I get this formula to return the five characters I'm looking for
instead of having Excel just show me my formula?

Thanks in advance.
-Scott