Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

Default Format for degrees

Hi folks!

Working on a project and using a formula like this just so we can get the
degree sign:

=TEXT(ROUND(DEGREES(ATAN2((C6-C30)/2,A25)),1),"0.0")&CHAR(176)

This obviously results in a text value.

How can I dump the TEXT function and the CHAR function and format the cell
to display the degree sign and still be a numeric data type?

Thanks!

Biff

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Elkar

You can just add the ° symbol to your Custom Number format. Hold down the
Alt key and type 0176.

HTH,
Elkar

"Biff" wrote:

Hi folks!

Working on a project and using a formula like this just so we can get the
degree sign:

=TEXT(ROUND(DEGREES(ATAN2((C6-C30)/2,A25)),1),"0.0")&CHAR(176)

This obviously results in a text value.

How can I dump the TEXT function and the CHAR function and format the cell
to display the degree sign and still be a numeric data type?

Thanks!

Biff

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Casey

Biff,
Try
=VALUE(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"",0))*B1 where A1 is the text with Chr (176).
The text is converted to a number that can be used in another formula.
By substituting the 0 (Zero) for the degree character you lose any
background numerical accuracy.
Hint to enter the charater using the keyboard use "Alt 0176"

--
Casey

Casey's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=4545
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=537324

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

Hi!

Thanks for the reply. I can pretty much figure out ways to use the text
value in other calcs but I was looking (hoping) for a custom number format.
I'm not so good at creating custom formats!

Thanks!

Biff

"Casey" wrote in
message ...

Biff,
Try
=VALUE(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"",0))*B1 where A1 is the text with Chr (176).
The text is converted to a number that can be used in another formula.
By substituting the 0 (Zero) for the degree character you lose any
background numerical accuracy.
Hint to enter the charater using the keyboard use "Alt 0176"

--
Casey

Casey's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=537324

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

Hi!

You can just add the symbol to your Custom Number format.

Well, that's the problem! I don't know what that custom number format would
be!

Thanks!

Biff

"Biff" wrote:

Hi folks!

Working on a project and using a formula like this just so we can get the
degree sign:

=TEXT(ROUND(DEGREES(ATAN2((C6-C30)/2,A25)),1),"0.0")&CHAR(176)

This obviously results in a text value.

How can I dump the TEXT function and the CHAR function and format the
cell
to display the degree sign and still be a numeric data type?

Thanks!

Biff

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Elkar

Well, it appears that you want to display a number with one decimal place, so
your Custom Format should look like this:

0.0°

Or is there something I'm missing?

HTH,
Elkar

Hi!

"Biff" wrote:

Hi folks!

Working on a project and using a formula like this just so we can get the
degree sign:

=TEXT(ROUND(DEGREES(ATAN2((C6-C30)/2,A25)),1),"0.0")&CHAR(176)

This obviously results in a text value.

How can I dump the TEXT function and the CHAR function and format the
cell
to display the degree sign and still be a numeric data type?

Thanks!

Biff

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Casey

Biff,
Go to FormatCellsNumberCategory Custom and Type:
0.00 Insert the using the keyboard entry from my first post. It
works for me.
The entry into the cell either by typing or by formula puts a symbol
after the number and yet the cell contents can still be used in other
formulas because it reads like any other number.

Hope that is what you were looking for.

--
Casey

Casey's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=4545
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=537324

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

formatcellsnumbercustom

Type

0.0

then hold down alt key while typing 0176 on the numpad, release alt key

Peo

Hi!

"Biff" wrote:

Hi folks!

Working on a project and using a formula like this just so we can get
the
degree sign:

=TEXT(ROUND(DEGREES(ATAN2((C6-C30)/2,A25)),1),"0.0")&CHAR(176)

This obviously results in a text value.

How can I dump the TEXT function and the CHAR function and format the
cell
to display the degree sign and still be a numeric data type?

Thanks!

Biff

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gary''s Student

Hi Biff:

Let's say that in A1 we have 30.123456
this is a little more than 30 degrees.

In A2 put =A1/24
and format A2:
Format Cells... Number Custom and enter
[hh]°mm'ss\"
in place of
General
to see: 30°07'24"

--
Gary''s Student

"Biff" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

Well, all I can say is........Doh!

Sometimes I'm so "thick" it's not funny. LOL!

Thanks to everyone for responding.

Biff