Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Sonia

Default Calculating Current Age from DOB

I'm very new to Excel, so my question may seem basic.

I am trying to calculate one's current Age by inputting their date of birth.
I tried subtracting the two dates, but I get a date and I cannot format that
to an age.

I would actually like the data in the cell to show the age in years and
months (i.e. 3.8 to tell me the age is 3 years and 8 months).

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Coderre

See Chip Pearson's website:

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/datedif.htm

Check the "Calculating A Person's Age" section

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro

"Sonia" wrote:

I'm very new to Excel, so my question may seem basic.

I am trying to calculate one's current Age by inputting their date of birth.
I tried subtracting the two dates, but I get a date and I cannot format that
to an age.

I would actually like the data in the cell to show the age in years and
months (i.e. 3.8 to tell me the age is 3 years and 8 months).

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Stefi

Try to custom format the difference cell like yy.mm

Regards,
Stefi

€žSonia€ť ezt Ă*rta:

I'm very new to Excel, so my question may seem basic.

I am trying to calculate one's current Age by inputting their date of birth.
I tried subtracting the two dates, but I get a date and I cannot format that
to an age.

I would actually like the data in the cell to show the age in years and
months (i.e. 3.8 to tell me the age is 3 years and 8 months).

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I work in the insurance industry in the UK - we USUALLY use the
YEARFRAC function for this - this requires that you use the tools menu,
add-ins to add-in the Analysis toolpak, but it then makes the return
nice and easy - yearfrac gives an exact value, but can be modified to
return years and months by multiplying the returned value by 12, taking
an integer of it, then dividing back by 12!