Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Salgar

Default How do I get the largest number in a sheet to stand out on it own

One column is the individuals names. The next column the number of cuts per
day. How do I get the highest number to be either bold, blue, or stand out.
Or have the name of the person with the hightest number pop up on a different
cell.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
bpeltzer

You can do this with conditional formatting. If your columns of names and
numbers are A and B, starting in row 2 then select cell A2 and Format
Conditional Formatting. Use the drop-down to set up the condition: Formula
Is, =$b2=max($b:$b) then click the Format button and select the highlighting
you'd like and click OK a couple of times. Then select your entire table and
hit crtl+y to repeat the previous operation.

"Salgar" wrote:

One column is the individuals names. The next column the number of cuts per
day. How do I get the highest number to be either bold, blue, or stand out.
Or have the name of the person with the hightest number pop up on a different
cell.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Aladin Akyurek

Let A4:A11 house the names:

Name
dawn
damon
dan
brian
christine
ian
jon

Let B4:B11 house the cuts per day:

Cuts
75
85
70
90
56
80
90

In C4 enter: Rank

In C5 enter & copy down:

=RANK(B5,$B$5:$B$11)+COUNTIF(B5:$B$5,B5)-1

In F2 enter: 1

which is the size of the list of top performers.

F3:

=MAX(IF(INDEX(B5:B11,MATCH(F2,C5:C11,0))=B5:B11,C5 :C11))-F2

which needs to be confirmed with control+shift+enter, not just with enter.

This calculates the number of performers whose score ties with that of
the top performer.

In F4 enter: Top Performer(s)

In F5 enter & copy down:

=IF(ROWS(F$5:F5)<=$F$2+$F$3,INDEX($A$5:$A$11,MATCH (ROWS(F$5:F5),$C$5:$C$11,0)),"")

Another option to the same effect is to run Data|PivotTables... which
allows to show the desired number of top performers.

Salgar wrote:
One column is the individuals names. The next column the number of cuts per
day. How do I get the highest number to be either bold, blue, or stand out.
Or have the name of the person with the hightest number pop up on a different
cell.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Salgar

Default How do I get the largest number in a sheet to stand out on it

Awesome! That worked! Thanks a lot. This one was killing me.