Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Headfish

Default Create number format for 4 digit integer preceded by zero

I have a field with a bunch of numbers from 1 to 1000. They need to be
displayed as 0001, 0002...0999, 1000. I was looking for a function or number
formatting way of accomplishing this.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Elkar

Under Cell Formatting, select Custom and enter: 0000

HTH,
Elkar

"Headfish" wrote:

I have a field with a bunch of numbers from 1 to 1000. They need to be
displayed as 0001, 0002...0999, 1000. I was looking for a function or number
formatting way of accomplishing this.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Carim

Hi
Format Cells Number Custom 0000

HTH
Carim

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Headfish

Thank you, I had looked at Custom and thought that would overwrite the
digits. It worked great. I appreciate it.

"Headfish" wrote:

I have a field with a bunch of numbers from 1 to 1000. They need to be
displayed as 0001, 0002...0999, 1000. I was looking for a function or number
formatting way of accomplishing this.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Headfish

Argh, one more step. What I'm actually doing is creating a list of image
links. The images are preceded by an address (e.g.,
C:\mydocuments\mypictures\), then a static portion of the name (e.g. DSC),
followed by the number (formatted to be four digits preceded by zeroes, which
you helped me with) and finally type (e.g., .jpg).

I am trying to concatenate the Address, file number (formatted as 4 digits)
and type to create a working address. I attempted to cut and paste-special
the number column with values and formats. But when it concatenates it drops
the zeroes creating an address that doesn't work. In other words, I get
C:\mydocuments\mypictures\DSC1.jpg, instead of
C:\mydocuments\mypictures\DSC0001.jpg.

"Headfish" wrote:

I have a field with a bunch of numbers from 1 to 1000. They need to be
displayed as 0001, 0002...0999, 1000. I was looking for a function or number
formatting way of accomplishing this.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

Use TEXT(value,"0000")
where values is the value is the cell you want to include with 4 digits

Peo Sjoblom

http://nwexcelsolutions.com

"Headfish" wrote:

I have a field with a bunch of numbers from 1 to 1000. They need to be
displayed as 0001, 0002...0999, 1000. I was looking for a function or
number
formatting way of accomplishing this.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Headfish

All three of you were very helpful. Guess this wasn't as complicated as I
thought but help searches just weren't getting me there. Thank you.