Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
pcsski

Default Can't get CUMPRINC to work. Have Installed Analysis Toolpak

Excel 2002. I believe I am entering the 6 items properly in the CUMPRINC
formula, however the results do not seem correct. I even entered the sample
from Help and it did not return the result that is shown in Help. I did the
Error Checking function and it came back with no errors
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Niek Otten

What values did you use and what result did you get?

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

"pcsski" wrote in message ...
| Excel 2002. I believe I am entering the 6 items properly in the CUMPRINC
| formula, however the results do not seem correct. I even entered the sample
| from Help and it did not return the result that is shown in Help. I did the
| Error Checking function and it came back with no errors

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
pcsski

Just to clarrify, I entered the "CUMPRINC" in a cell with the corresponding 6
items that the formula needs and it returned the "#NAME?". So I then
installed the Analysis Toolpak and the "#NAME?" went away and a number was
returned. However the number did not seem right. So to check to see if there
is an error I thought I would enter the sample numbers from the example in
the "CUMPRINC" Excel Help page: =CUMPRINC(9/12,360,125000,1,1,0) ...This is
for a 30 year loan of $125,000 @ 9% interest and is supposed to figure the
principle paid in a single (1) payment in the first (1) month. The zero (0)
at the end of the problem means the payment is at the end of the period The
amount the Excel example says it is supposed to be is: -68.27827 ... the
amount I got in my spreadsheet was: 0

If you have any suggestions or if you have used this formula succesfully
and have some samples you are willing to share I would appreciate it.

Thanks for your interest.

pcsski

"pcsski" wrote in message ...
| Excel 2002. I believe I am entering the 6 items properly in the CUMPRINC
| formula, however the results do not seem correct. I even entered the sample
| from Help and it did not return the result that is shown in Help. I did the
| Error Checking function and it came back with no errors

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Niek Otten

=CUMPRINC(0.09/12,360,125000,1,1,0)

percentages are stored as fractions

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

"pcsski" wrote in message ...
| Just to clarrify, I entered the "CUMPRINC" in a cell with the corresponding 6
| items that the formula needs and it returned the "#NAME?". So I then
| installed the Analysis Toolpak and the "#NAME?" went away and a number was
| returned. However the number did not seem right. So to check to see if there
| is an error I thought I would enter the sample numbers from the example in
| the "CUMPRINC" Excel Help page: =CUMPRINC(9/12,360,125000,1,1,0) ...This is
| for a 30 year loan of $125,000 @ 9% interest and is supposed to figure the
| principle paid in a single (1) payment in the first (1) month. The zero (0)
| at the end of the problem means the payment is at the end of the period The
| amount the Excel example says it is supposed to be is: -68.27827 ... the
| amount I got in my spreadsheet was: 0
|
| If you have any suggestions or if you have used this formula succesfully
| and have some samples you are willing to share I would appreciate it.
|
| Thanks for your interest.
|
| pcsski
|
| "Niek Otten" wrote:
|
| What values did you use and what result did you get?
|
| --
| Kind regards,
|
| Niek Otten
|
| "pcsski" wrote in message ...
| | Excel 2002. I believe I am entering the 6 items properly in the CUMPRINC
| | formula, however the results do not seem correct. I even entered the sample
| | from Help and it did not return the result that is shown in Help. I did the
| | Error Checking function and it came back with no errors

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
pcsski

Duh, I looked at the example and it reads "9.00%" and I'm sure the cell is
formated to make the 9.00% 0.09. When I changed it it worked. Thanks for
your help!

pcsski