Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Danny

Default How to add characters to all existing values in a given column

I have a column that has existing values in most rows. I want to add a comma
to the end of every non-empty cell in that column. For e.g., I want to change

"Thompson"

"Thompson,"

Can I use the SUBSTITUTE or REPLACE functions for this? I tried something
like:

=SUBSTITUTE(E3, E3, E3 & ",")

But that don't work...

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Coderre

Try something like this:

=E3&","

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro

"Danny" wrote:

I have a column that has existing values in most rows. I want to add a comma
to the end of every non-empty cell in that column. For e.g., I want to change

"Thompson"

"Thompson,"

Can I use the SUBSTITUTE or REPLACE functions for this? I tried something
like:

=SUBSTITUTE(E3, E3, E3 & ",")

But that don't work...

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Duke Carey

Maybe

=if(len(e3)0,e3&",","")

"Danny" wrote:

I have a column that has existing values in most rows. I want to add a comma
to the end of every non-empty cell in that column. For e.g., I want to change

"Thompson"

"Thompson,"

Can I use the SUBSTITUTE or REPLACE functions for this? I tried something
like:

=SUBSTITUTE(E3, E3, E3 & ",")

But that don't work...

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Danny

Works great. Thanks.

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Try something like this:

=E3&","

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro

"Danny" wrote:

I have a column that has existing values in most rows. I want to add a comma
to the end of every non-empty cell in that column. For e.g., I want to change

"Thompson"

"Thompson,"

Can I use the SUBSTITUTE or REPLACE functions for this? I tried something
like:

=SUBSTITUTE(E3, E3, E3 & ",")

But that don't work...

Thanks