Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Lookup values in one column to return another

I know this is easy, but I'm having a complete brain-fart on how to do
it.

I've got a column of values on one sheet, and I want to match each
individual value in that column with the same value on another sheet,
then return the value in that same row.
Simplified example:

Column A Column B Column C Column D
a a 1 1
a b 2 1
d c 3 4
e d 4 5
c e 5 3
b f 6 2
c g 7 3
c h 8 3

So I've got values in Column A which I'm trying to match to a list of
values in Column B. When it matches, I want it to look up the
corresponding value (same row) in Column C, returning that value in
Column D (the above table is filled out as to how it should look when
done).
I think I can do this with some combination of LOOKUP, MATCH, and
INDEX, but I can't seem to get the syntax correct.

TIA!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips

Simply VLOOKUP.

=VLOOKUP(A1,$B$1:$C$200,2,False)

--

HTH

RP

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Bob-

Thanks for the help.
One thing I forgot to mention - all of the columns are on different
sheets, with none next to each other.

I'm trying to play around with what you sent given that, but haven't
gotten it working yet.

Thanks again.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips

I think that will require INDEX/MATCH then

=INDEX(Sheet3!C1:C200,MATCH(Sheet1!A1,Sheet2!B1:B2 00,0)

where you can modify the sheets to suit

--

HTH

RP

wrote in message
ups.com...
Bob-

Thanks for the help.
One thing I forgot to mention - all of the columns are on different
sheets, with none next to each other.

I'm trying to play around with what you sent given that, but haven't
gotten it working yet.

Thanks again.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks very much for your help Bob!