Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Lee

Default I want to be able to create a dynamic reference in excel, for exam

My 1st tab is a summary report... references information for all the other
tabs. I want to be able to automatically update the summary report on the
first tab, by entering the day # of the year, and from this... the reports
will automatically reference the next row (based on day) on the other tabs -
so that I don't have to manually update each of the references in my report

meaning...

I start out with this formula in the First Tab: ='tab2'!C94
but I want to make the row 94 dependant upon a cell in tab1, so I'm trying:
='tab2'!C(Y2)

but this is giving me an error message. Does anyone have any suggestions
how I could proceed?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

Hi!

Try this:

=INDIRECT("''tab2'!C"&Y2)

Biff

"Lee" wrote in message
My 1st tab is a summary report... references information for all the other
tabs. I want to be able to automatically update the summary report on the
first tab, by entering the day # of the year, and from this... the reports
will automatically reference the next row (based on day) on the other
tabs -
so that I don't have to manually update each of the references in my
report

meaning...

I start out with this formula in the First Tab: ='tab2'!C94
but I want to make the row 94 dependant upon a cell in tab1, so I'm
trying:
='tab2'!C(Y2)

but this is giving me an error message. Does anyone have any suggestions
how I could proceed?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Lee

Default I want to be able to create a dynamic reference in excel, for

Thanks for the response... but I'm getting a #REF

What can I show you to work through this?

Thanks,
Lee

"Biff" wrote:

Hi!

Try this:

=INDIRECT("''tab2'!C"&Y2)

Biff

"Lee" wrote in message
My 1st tab is a summary report... references information for all the other
tabs. I want to be able to automatically update the summary report on the
first tab, by entering the day # of the year, and from this... the reports
will automatically reference the next row (based on day) on the other
tabs -
so that I don't have to manually update each of the references in my
report

meaning...

I start out with this formula in the First Tab: ='tab2'!C94
but I want to make the row 94 dependant upon a cell in tab1, so I'm
trying:
='tab2'!C(Y2)

but this is giving me an error message. Does anyone have any suggestions
how I could proceed?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Lee

I removed one of the ' before tab2 and it seems to now be working!
Thanks for your help!

"Biff" wrote:

Hi!

Try this:

=INDIRECT("''tab2'!C"&Y2)

Biff

"Lee" wrote in message
My 1st tab is a summary report... references information for all the other
tabs. I want to be able to automatically update the summary report on the
first tab, by entering the day # of the year, and from this... the reports
will automatically reference the next row (based on day) on the other
tabs -
so that I don't have to manually update each of the references in my
report

meaning...

I start out with this formula in the First Tab: ='tab2'!C94
but I want to make the row 94 dependant upon a cell in tab1, so I'm
trying:
='tab2'!C(Y2)

but this is giving me an error message. Does anyone have any suggestions
how I could proceed?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

Ooops!

I think I had one too many ' in there. Here's the "exploded" view for easy
reading:

=INDIRECT( " ' tab2 ' ! C " & Y2 )

Just remove all the spaces.

Biff

"Lee" wrote in message
Thanks for the response... but I'm getting a #REF

What can I show you to work through this?

Thanks,
Lee

"Biff" wrote:

Hi!