Using formulas to enter NULL cell values

Default how to enter a null cell value in a formula

I am trying to effect a null cell value based on a formula. For example, for
B2, I might want to have B2 be NULL if A2 is NOT NULL, otherwise use the
value from B1). This might be written something like "=if(A2"",NULL,B1)".

The intent is to allow the text value of A2 to extend into B2 (i.e. not
wrap). Entering a "" for the TRUE action does not allow A2 to extend into B2.
Frank Kabel

Hi
=IF(A2<"","",B1)

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

Using formulas to enter NULL cell values wrote:
I am trying to effect a null cell value based on a formula. For
example, for B2, I might want to have B2 be NULL if A2 is NOT NULL,
otherwise use the value from B1). This might be written something
like "=if(A2"",NULL,B1)".

The intent is to allow the text value of A2 to extend into B2 (i.e.
not wrap). Entering a "" for the TRUE action does not allow A2 to
extend into B2.

Using formulas to enter NULL cell values

Thanks for the reply, however, this does not appear to work ... if A2 is not
null, the TRUE argument value is placed in the cell, but this does NOT allow
the value of A2 (if longer than the cell width) to 'bleed' into B2 as
desired. Even though the TRUE value is (essentially) NULL, it apparently is
NOT the same as the result you would get if you right-clicked on the cell and
used Clear Contents ... I want to effect a "Clear Contents" result from
within a formula

"Frank Kabel" wrote:

Hi
=IF(A2<"","",B1)

--
Regards
Frank Kabel
Frankfurt, Germany

Using formulas to enter NULL cell values wrote:
I am trying to effect a null cell value based on a formula. For
example, for B2, I might want to have B2 be NULL if A2 is NOT NULL,
otherwise use the value from B1). This might be written something
like "=if(A2"",NULL,B1)".

The intent is to allow the text value of A2 to extend into B2 (i.e.
not wrap). Entering a "" for the TRUE action does not allow A2 to
extend into B2.

Harlan Grove

Frank Kabel wrote...
=IF(A2<"","",B1)

Reread the OP's second paragraph.

OP wrote:
I am trying to effect a null cell value based on a formula. For
example, for B2, I might want to have B2 be NULL if A2 is NOT NULL,
otherwise use the value from B1). This might be written something
like "=if(A2"",NULL,B1)".

For the OP: your terminology is incorrect. 'Null' cells are those containing
the error value #NULL!. If you mean cells containing nothing, the correct
term is 'blank'.

The intent is to allow the text value of A2 to extend into B2 (i.e.
not wrap). Entering a "" for the TRUE action does not allow A2 to
extend into B2.

If cell B2 contains anything whatsoever, it can't be blank ('blank' being
defined as the complete absence of any contents), and text in cell A2 can't
extend into cell B2. You just can't do this in Excel or any other
spreadsheet of which I'm aware (and unlike most of the other participants in
this ng, I use a half dozen others over the course of an average week).

If you want A2 to extend into B2, then B2 simply can't contain anything at
all. Period. Time to redesign or adapt.

Frank Kabel

Hi
sorry, missed that point. See Harlan's response (as this is not possible)

--
Regards
Frank Kabel
Frankfurt, Germany

Using formulas to enter NULL cell values wrote:
Thanks for the reply, however, this does not appear to work ... if A2
is not null, the TRUE argument value is placed in the cell, but this
does NOT allow the value of A2 (if longer than the cell width) to
'bleed' into B2 as desired. Even though the TRUE value is
(essentially) NULL, it apparently is NOT the same as the result you
would get if you right-clicked on the cell and used Clear Contents
... I want to effect a "Clear Contents" result from within a formula

"Frank Kabel" wrote:

Hi
=IF(A2<"","",B1)

--
Regards
Frank Kabel
Frankfurt, Germany

Using formulas to enter NULL cell values wrote:
I am trying to effect a null cell value based on a formula. For
example, for B2, I might want to have B2 be NULL if A2 is NOT NULL,
otherwise use the value from B1). This might be written something
like "=if(A2"",NULL,B1)".

The intent is to allow the text value of A2 to extend into B2 (i.e.
not wrap). Entering a "" for the TRUE action does not allow A2 to
extend into B2.

Using formulas to enter NULL cell values

Thanks for reply ... I was afraid that there was no solution to my problem.
I avoided using the term 'blank' as that is often considered the same as
'space' ... NULL usually is interpreted as 'no value' ... thanks again