Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
3Pinter

Default Conditional Formatting

Hi,

I hope this is the correct place to ask my question...

What I want is to create a 'conditional formatting' of two colums.

Example:
1|..a..|..b..|
2|..2..|..5..|
3|..5..|..5..|
4|..5..|..6..|

So colum b is the result of some formulas. Colum a should be 'tested'
like this:
IF b a then a should be red. Unique for each row.

So I used conditional format for each single row:
="$B$2 $A$2"

But is it possible to create a single formula to check if the value of
colum b is bigger than colum a, checking each row indepedant?

Something like "$B$x $A$x" where x is the variable.

So my example would be:
2: red
3: nothing
4: nothing

Hope it's clear,

3Pinter

--
3Pinter
3Pinter's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32623

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dav

Excel sometimes feels the need to add the " around the formula, loose
them then if you loose the dollars infront of the numbers and then
ciopy the formula down the column it should work

so =$b2$a2 should work and be copied down

Regards

Dav

--
Dav
Dav's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27107

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
3Pinter

Copying a cell with conditional formatting doesn't work because the
conditional formatting isn't seen as 'constant'. So I won't change to
$b$3$a$3 ... $b$4$a$4 etc.etc.

Another solution maybe?

I've included a test file which better explains my problem.

3Pinter

|Filename: test.zip |
|Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=4482 |

3Pinter
3Pinter's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32623
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=524256

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Morrigan

I believe Dav's formula should work if you copy and paste
special(formats).

--
Morrigan
Morrigan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=7094

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
ufo_pilot

3Pinter,
Dav was correct
$b3$a3 in your first cell of formattting ( NOT $b$3$a$3... watch the
$$$$ )
then copy that cell
Paste Special ( EditPaste Special) Then select Format
Another way click on the formatted cell, double-click on your Format Painter
( paintbrush-icon) every cell you click on or scroll over now receives that
format.