Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
WebLord

Default Simple Question, Calculating Discounts

Hello,

I just have what I think is a simple question regarding calculating
discounts with percentages. Sorry to bother you all with something so
basic, but I really am having a hard time with it and can't

I am basically trying to calculate a price on a vehicle after a
discount of 10% off the sticker price, then add a 6% sales tax, then
subtract another 5% as the downpayment. Once I can calculate this
number,which would be the amount to finance, I can use the PMT
function- which I somewhat understand.

Sticker Price 15000
Discount 10%
Sales Tax 6%
Downpayment 5%
Amount to be financed ??? =$C$3-$C$4+C$5$-$C$6

I know this is the wrong formula, and the answer acts as if the
percentages were pennies on the dollar? Do I need to format the cells
differently or what the hay am I doing wrong?

Thank you for reading!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bondi

Hi,

This should work..
Stricke price in cell B1 (Format as number)
Discount in B2 (Format as pct)
Salestax in B3 (Format as pct)
Downpayment in B4 (Format as pct)
Amount to be financed in B5 (Formate as number)

=((B1-(B1*B2))+((B1-(B1*B2))*B3))-(((B1-(B1*B2))+((B1-(B1*B2))*B3))*B4)

Regards
Bondi

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Roger Govier

Hi

With full price in A1, Discount in B1, Tax in B2, Downpayment in B3 all
entries in column B as Percentage
In A2 (format General)
=A1*(1-B1)*(1+B2)*(1-B3)

For a sale price of 1000, it should yield you a finance price of 906.30

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"WebLord" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank you both for the replies! You have been very helpful.
:)