Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Webitect

Default $ vs time formula

Hello,

I am trying to track my time (I'm using a formula that takes the difference
between start time and end time). Then I have a colum for $ earned. For
some reason, the equation to add all the cells in the "time worked" column
does not work if I add more than a few cells. Also, I can't seem to figure
out how to make a formula to produce a $/hr figure.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Sincerely,

Ray

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Trevor Shuttleworth

Ray

it would be really helpful to see the formulae and examples of the data

But, in the meantime, an example:

If your start time is in cell B6 and your end time is in cell C6 the formula
in D6 to get a number rather than a time would be =(C6-B6)*24
formatted as general.

If that's in D6 and your daily (?) rate is in E6 then your formula in, say,
F6 would be =E6/D6

Regards

Trevor

"Webitect" wrote in message
Hello,

I am trying to track my time (I'm using a formula that takes the
difference between start time and end time). Then I have a colum for $
earned. For some reason, the equation to add all the cells in the "time
worked" column does not work if I add more than a few cells. Also, I
can't seem to figure out how to make a formula to produce a $/hr figure.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Sincerely,

Ray

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
SteveG

Ray,

Try this. In your cells for the start and end time, format the cells
as

h:mm AM/PM

When entering your times, be sure to enter the AM or PM or it will
default to AM. For your sum, you can convert these to decimals. In
the total time column, format as Number to 2 decimals. Enter in this
formula in C2.

=CONVERT(SUM(B2-A2),"day","hr")

Where A2 is the start time and B2 is the end time. So for 8:00 AM -
5:00 PM, the total in C2 will be 9.00. Then you can work with that
against the money earned. So if you earned $90 in D2, in E2 your $/hr
would be D2/C2 or $10.00/hr.

Does that help?

Steve

--