Mike

Default Date Formatted Cells

I would like to know how to format cells so when I enter "090404", 9/04/04 is
displayed in the cell. 09/04/04 would work as well. I only want to have to
type six numbers for the date, and for Excel to recognize and interpret the
date and print it in the above format. Is there a way to do this?

When I try to do this, I go to Format and then to Date and select the format
I want, however, Excel does not recognize "090404" as a date, it accepts it
as some date serial number or something and gives me the wrong date.

Please help.

Mike

JE McGimpsey

The format of the cell doesn't affect how the parser interprets your
entry (except if format is set to Text). You'll need to use an event
macro.

See

http://cpearson.com/excel/datetimeentry.htm

In article ,
"Mike" wrote:

I would like to know how to format cells so when I enter "090404", 9/04/04 is
displayed in the cell. 09/04/04 would work as well. I only want to have to
type six numbers for the date, and for Excel to recognize and interpret the
date and print it in the above format. Is there a way to do this?

When I try to do this, I go to Format and then to Date and select the format
I want, however, Excel does not recognize "090404" as a date, it accepts it
as some date serial number or something and gives me the wrong date.

Please help.

Mike

Frank Kabel

Hi