Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
tstorie

Default Can Excel automatically change the font color of an expired date?

I am tracking expiration dates for training. With numerous people working
for me, tracking their training is vital, and the easiest view for all
training classes required is on Excel. I am wondering if Excel can
automatically change the color of a date that I input as the expiration date
approaches and as it passes.

I appreciate any help. If it is capable of doing this task, I cannot find
how to do it.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ian

Have a look at conditional formatting. You can use Cell Value Is less than
=TODAY() to flag dates before the current date and Cell Value Is less that
=TODAY()+7 to flag dates within the next week. Choose your formats to suit
your requirements.

--
Ian
--
"tstorie" wrote in message
I am tracking expiration dates for training. With numerous people working
for me, tracking their training is vital, and the easiest view for all
training classes required is on Excel. I am wondering if Excel can
automatically change the color of a date that I input as the expiration
date
approaches and as it passes.

I appreciate any help. If it is capable of doing this task, I cannot find
how to do it.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
j j is offline

I have a similiar question except that I have two columns. One with a start
date, the second column automatically updates to show a date 30 days from
that date something is due. What I'm trying to do is change the color of
that column to red after the 30 days have expired to show these personnel are
over due.

"tstorie" wrote:

I am tracking expiration dates for training. With numerous people working
for me, tracking their training is vital, and the easiest view for all
training classes required is on Excel. I am wondering if Excel can
automatically change the color of a date that I input as the expiration date
approaches and as it passes.

I appreciate any help. If it is capable of doing this task, I cannot find
how to do it.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Use conditional formatting

a2 = start date
b2 = due date

in b2 add conditional format
=if(b2<today(),1,0)
Format as required.

Steve

"tstorie" wrote:

I am tracking expiration dates for training. With numerous people
working
for me, tracking their training is vital, and the easiest view for all
training classes required is on Excel. I am wondering if Excel can
automatically change the color of a date that I input as the expiration
date
approaches and as it passes.

I appreciate any help. If it is capable of doing this task, I cannot
find
how to do it.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
j j is offline

Default Can Excel automatically change the font color of an expired da

I'm sorry I'm not real computer literate, can you tell me how exactly to
write I keep getting errors.

"tstorie" wrote:

I am tracking expiration dates for training. With numerous people
working
for me, tracking their training is vital, and the easiest view for all
training classes required is on Excel. I am wondering if Excel can
automatically change the color of a date that I input as the expiration
date
approaches and as it passes.

I appreciate any help. If it is capable of doing this task, I cannot
find
how to do it.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Yes,
in the cell that has the due date, I'll assume this is B2

From the main Menu Format - Conditional Formating...
Change the "Cell Value is" to "Formula I2"

Then in the formula area put
=IF(B2TODAY(),1,0)

Note thats not the < I put first time :)
This checks the date against today(), (which will change each day)
and returns 1 or 0
If 1 (ie TRUE) then the formatting will be activated.
So choose your formatting
Something like a Red Background will probably be sufficient
Click OK and it should work
Use the Fromat Painter button to copy and paste the format to the whole
column

Steve

"tstorie" wrote:

I am tracking expiration dates for training. With numerous people
working
for me, tracking their training is vital, and the easiest view for

all
training classes required is on Excel. I am wondering if Excel can
automatically change the color of a date that I input as the

expiration
date
approaches and as it passes.

I appreciate any help. If it is capable of doing this task, I cannot
find
how to do it.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
j j is offline

It didn't work. Maybe I said this wrong: Here is the scenerio again.
Sorry:(
One column with a start date, the second column automatically updates to
show a date 30 from the start date to show when the next update is due. What
Im trying to do is change the color of the updated column to red once that
date is over due. Ex. Start date is 26 Oct 2006; update reads €œ26 Nov 2006
and now it is 05 Dec 2006 so now €œ26 Nov 2006 should turn red. Thank you J

"SteveW" wrote:

Yes,
in the cell that has the due date, I'll assume this is B2

From the main Menu Format - Conditional Formating...

"tstorie" wrote:

I am tracking expiration dates for training. With numerous people
working
for me, tracking their training is vital, and the easiest view for
all
training classes required is on Excel. I am wondering if Excel can
automatically change the color of a date that I input as the
expiration
date
approaches and as it passes.

I appreciate any help. If it is capable of doing this task, I cannot
find
how to do it.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
j j is offline

Ok I think I got it. I changed the line that reads
=IF(L3TODAY(),1,0) to read
=IF(L3<TODAY(),1,0) and it turned on, is this right?

"SteveW" wrote:

Yes,
in the cell that has the due date, I'll assume this is B2

From the main Menu Format - Conditional Formating...

"tstorie" wrote:

I am tracking expiration dates for training. With numerous people
working
for me, tracking their training is vital, and the easiest view for
all
training classes required is on Excel. I am wondering if Excel can
automatically change the color of a date that I input as the
expiration
date
approaches and as it passes.

I appreciate any help. If it is capable of doing this task, I cannot
find
how to do it.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Whoops got it right the first time and confused us both
by changing it

Sorry
Glad you got there, thanks for the feedback

Steve

"SteveW" wrote:

Yes,
in the cell that has the due date, I'll assume this is B2

From the main Menu Format - Conditional Formating...

"tstorie" wrote:

I am tracking expiration dates for training. With numerous

people
working
for me, tracking their training is vital, and the easiest view

for
all
training classes required is on Excel. I am wondering if Excel

can
automatically change the color of a date that I input as the
expiration
date
approaches and as it passes.

I appreciate any help. If it is capable of doing this task, I

cannot
find
how to do it.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
j j is offline

No THANK YOU. Now I can go to sleep & "Ah" everyone @ work tomorrow. Thanks
for saving me & my job. God Bless you.:)

"SteveW" wrote:

Yes,
in the cell that has the due date, I'll assume this is B2

From the main Menu Format - Conditional Formating...