Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Formprob1

Default Looking for the Formula to find 4 in 77890453

I need a formula and don't know what it's called or if it's available in
excel but this is for a program and I need to find a way to break down large
numbers and alot of them. Some examples are as follows: 234987 is the number
maybe I want the number in the tenths place 8 to be entered on to excel or
use it more in a more complicated formula. Lets say I enter 97528437 on the
first line in excel (A,1) and I want (A,2) to display the number in the
millionths place. What formula can I use to get this. I appreciate anybody's
help (and I hope I'm not repeating a dead duck).
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

=FIND(4,A1)

will return 8

then if you want what's after 4 with 4 included

=MID(A1,FIND(4,A1),255)

will return

453

as text, if you want number

=--MID(A1,FIND(4,A1),255)

Peo Sjoblom

Northwest Excel Solutions

Portland, Oregon

"Formprob1" wrote in message
I need a formula and don't know what it's called or if it's available in
excel but this is for a program and I need to find a way to break down
large
numbers and alot of them. Some examples are as follows: 234987 is the
number
maybe I want the number in the tenths place 8 to be entered on to excel or
use it more in a more complicated formula. Lets say I enter 97528437 on
the
first line in excel (A,1) and I want (A,2) to display the number in the
millionths place. What formula can I use to get this. I appreciate
anybody's
help (and I hope I'm not repeating a dead duck).

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
MDBCT

The following will return the digit 4 positions from the right (the thousands
spot. Change the 4 to what ever postion you would want. I broke it out to
4 + 1 instead of 5 so it would be easier to determine the location of the
digit desire.
=MID(A1,LEN(A1)-4+1,1)*1