Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Lila

Default automatically filter for unique records... or other suggestions

I need to know if there is a way to automatically filter for unique records.

I am creating a workbook where one sheet has a list of projects worked
(column one) on and a task associated with the project (column two) and the
number of hours worked (column 3) on that project/task combination. The
next row may or may not have the same project name with a different task

On the second sheet, I used the sumif (if the text in the column on sheet 1
matches the text in the cell on sheet 2) function to add all hours
associated with the project.

It works great except I have to manually place the project name on each row
of the second sheet. (right now I use a data validation list to enter the
project name so I don't have to type or copy and paste it each time)

I would like to find a way to have the project name automatically entered on
the second sheet.

I first tried just using the = sign and then pointing at each cell, but it
does not avoid duplicates.

Then I found the filter for unique records which works great except I would
have to manually apply the filter each time... which I don't want to do.

Any suggestions?

--
Lila

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Buffgirl71

Data / Filter / Advanced Filter
Action: Copy to another location AND
Check the Unique Records only checkbox at the bottom left

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Lila

I did that, but it only does it that one time. If I change the original
list I have to run the filter again.

Is there a way to do this automatically or maybe another combination of
formulas that would do this?

Lila

"Buffgirl71" wrote in message
oups.com...
Data / Filter / Advanced Filter
Action: Copy to another location AND
Check the Unique Records only checkbox at the bottom left

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Peterson

If you sort your data, you could use data|subtotals to get the subtotals.

Or maybe it's time to look at pivottables.

If you want to read more about pivottables...

Here are a few links:

Debra Dalgleish's pictures at Jon Peltier's site:
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivottables.htm
And Debra's own site:

John Walkenbach also has some at:
http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/files/general.htm
(look for Tony Gwynn's Hit Database)

Chip Pearson keeps Harald Staff's notes at:

MS has some at (xl2000 and xl2002):
http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2000/XCrtPiv.aspx
http://office.microsoft.com/assistan...lconPT101.aspx