Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
gwwillits

Default Why won't my formulas work until I save the worksheet?

I created a very basic worksheet, each row totals into one cell in that row.
For the first 27 lines it works. Entries made after line 27 will not compute
until I save the worksheet. As soon as I hit FILE and then SAVE, the total
appears. I've never had this happen. I'm stumped!!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JMB

Sounds like your calculation is set to manual.

Click Tools/Options/Calculation - set to automatic.

"gwwillits" wrote:

I created a very basic worksheet, each row totals into one cell in that row.
For the first 27 lines it works. Entries made after line 27 will not compute
until I save the worksheet. As soon as I hit FILE and then SAVE, the total
appears. I've never had this happen. I'm stumped!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
David McRitchie

You probably have turned off calculation

You can quickly test with F2 then Enter and if that works
then that is a possibility. F9 will recalculate, there are more
powerful recalculation shortcuts
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/shortx2k.htm#calc
which you might try if the following fail.

1) Turn Calculation on tools, options, calculation (tab), calculation: automatic
2) Make sure you are not in formula view -- would not apply here because
you say it is fixed when you close, which is another indication of calc turned off.

The first workbook that is opened controls whether calculation is on or off.
You might need to close the open workbooks except for your personal.xls
with your macros and unhide that (window, unhide) before fixing option,
then of course hide your personal workbook again so macros will be available
in other workbooks when they are opened.

A macro that abnormally terminates would be one way that calculation gets
turned off, and of course you could have turned it off manually. A misbehaving
add-in can also turn off calculation and fail to turn it back on -- but add-ins are
usually written by people who take a bit more care -- but it certainly does happen
with add-ins as well. http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel....htm#checklist
---
HTH,

"gwwillits" wrote in message ...
I created a very basic worksheet, each row totals into one cell in that row.
For the first 27 lines it works. Entries made after line 27 will not compute
until I save the worksheet. As soon as I hit FILE and then SAVE, the total
appears. I've never had this happen. I'm stumped!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

Toolsoptionscalculation and make sure you have it set to automatic

Peo Sjoblom

Portland, Oregon