Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Danedel

Default Linking to a closed workbook

I'm having trouble linking to a closed workbook. I want to update information
from that book to another book and am certain I have entered the correct
formula, at least according to Excel's help section, yet I get error
messages. Here's the formula:

=(€˜S:\office\Maint. OT 2006[JAN 2006 OT FORM.xls]JAN OT Tracking Chart
2006!AA6)

I'm not computing anything, just referencing data from a single cell.
Anyone's help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Peterson

Open both workbooks.

Edit|Copy AA6 of that "sending" worksheet.

Find where you want it to be placed in the "receiving worksheet"

edit|paste special|paste link

When you close the sending workbook, you'll see that excel adjusted the formula.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Harlan Grove

Dave Peterson wrote...
Open both workbooks.

Edit|Copy AA6 of that "sending" worksheet.

Find where you want it to be placed in the "receiving worksheet"

edit|paste special|paste link

An alternative would be typing an = in the receiving workbook, then
pressing [Ctrl]+[F6] to switch to the sending workbook, move to cell
pointer to the desired cell, and press [Enter].

Danedel wrote:
I'm having trouble linking to a closed workbook. I want to update information
from that book to another book and am certain I have entered the correct
formula, at least according to Excel's help section, yet I get error
messages. Here's the formula:

=('S:\office\Maint. OT 2006[JAN 2006 OT FORM.xls]JAN OT Tracking Chart
2006'!AA6)

The formula above is wrong. You're missing a backslash, \, between the
directory name and the filename in square brackets. So your formula
should be

=('S:\office\Maint. OT 2006\[JAN 2006 OT FORM.xls]JAN OT Tracking
Chart 2006'!AA6)

As a general rule, computers are far more accurate than humans about
details. When programs tell you something is incorrect, at least 99.99%
of the time the computers are correct, and you're wrong.