MattShoreson

Default Linking to workbook

Hi,

Let me explain the setup...

I have 3 workbooks.
wkbk1 contains a list of source data.
wkbk2 contains pivot tables based on the source data.
wkbk3 contains reports using the worksheet formula GETPIVOTDATA.

When I open up wkbk1 and update the values in the report show #REF.
However, When I then open up wkbk2 the values in wkbk1 update.

How can I get the values to display on just opening wkbk1.

A sample formula in the report is as follows:

=GETPIVOTDATA("Sum of AOT GBPNet",'V:\Broker
Disclosure\Reporting\[TD.xls]PT AOT Combined'!$A$5)

TIA,
Matt.

--
MattShoreson
MattShoreson's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=3472

Richard Neville

The whole job would be easier if you put everything in one workbook rather
than three. In that way, you don't have to deal with external references,
which can be very difficult to make work correctly. To avoid messing up your
current workbooks, try this by copying the sheet tabs from each of the three
workbooks to a new workbook, and see how it works. Be sure to save the new
workbook promptly.

"MattShoreson"
wrote in message
news:MattShoreson.1stxet_1122470198.6203@excelforu m-nospam.com...

Hi,

Let me explain the setup...

I have 3 workbooks.
wkbk1 contains a list of source data.
wkbk2 contains pivot tables based on the source data.
wkbk3 contains reports using the worksheet formula GETPIVOTDATA.

When I open up wkbk1 and update the values in the report show #REF.
However, When I then open up wkbk2 the values in wkbk1 update.

How can I get the values to display on just opening wkbk1.

A sample formula in the report is as follows:

=GETPIVOTDATA("Sum of AOT GBPNet",'V:\Broker
Disclosure\Reporting\[TD.xls]PT AOT Combined'!$A$5)

TIA,
Matt.

--
MattShoreson
MattShoreson's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=390539

MattShoreson

Agreed - and point noted.

However there are reasons for splitting the sheets into 3 sections.

Firstly to restrict access to certain users. i.e. only certain users
can update reference data.
and secondly because combining the files would make them unwieldly.

Any others takers?