Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
captain edward

Default show a column of numbers also as percentages

Here is an example what I am trying to do:
$ %
35 30.71
27 23.68
52 45.61
114 100
simply be able to convert a column of numbers into a second column of
percentages & then be able to change a percentage that will also change the
numbers. Example: if I changed 30.71% to 35.71% & also changed 45.61% to
40.61% (maintaining a constant 100%) the $ column would also change as well.
Conversly changing $ would also change %.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips

You can't have both cells driven from the other, that is a circular
reference.

The percentage is got with

=A1/MAX($A$1:$A$4)

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"captain edward" <captain wrote in message
Here is an example what I am trying to do:
$ %
35 30.71
27 23.68
52 45.61
114 100
simply be able to convert a column of numbers into a second column of
percentages & then be able to change a percentage that will also change

the
numbers. Example: if I changed 30.71% to 35.71% & also changed 45.61% to
40.61% (maintaining a constant 100%) the $ column would also change as

well.
Conversly changing $ would also change %.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Bob,

I am searching a similar formula as the one Captain Edward was trying to do.
I have units in a condominium and each unit must pay their pro-rata share of
the common expenses. So I have a simple set of numbers that look something
like this:

Unit Sq. Ft. % of overall
100 1500 5.25%
101 1625 5.75%
102 1750 6.35%
TOTAL xxxx

And so forth.

When I sum the total square footages for the condominium that becomes my
total for the percentage calculations (xxxx). I do a simple formula for unit
100 where I take the cell for the 1500 and divide it by the cell for the toal
and that creates my percent of the overall as shown in the third column. But
if I copy that formula and try to paste it on the following units it comes up
#DIV/0 because it tries to look for the next number below the total in the
square footages and there is no number there. So, I manually have to create
this formula for each of the units and some of these condominium projects
contain hundreds of units. I have to believe there is something simple I am
missing.

Any suggestions.

Thanks

Steve Vrabel