Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
miketv

Default DSUM : what am I doing wrong?

ok...let's see if I can explain the problem...
Column F has manually entered numbers 1, 2, or 3. (They're codes for
reasons behind variances. They could also be called X, Y, or Z.)
I need Cell C71 to tell me how many 1's (or X's) are in Column F
Cell C72 should tell me how many 2's (or Y's) are in Column F
Cell C73 should tell me how many 3's (or Z's) are in Column F

I tried the standard =DSUM formula for the respective cells (C71, C72,
& C73), but i just get the -#VALUE!- error.

Any advice?
If more info is needed, I can provide it. (Just thought I should leave
the posting as uncluttered as possible)

thanks, mike

--
miketv

miketv's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30934
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=506074

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Chip Pearson

Use the COUNTIF function. E.g.,

=COUNTIF(F:F,1)

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"miketv"
wrote in message

[...]

View this thread:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

Hi!

Are you saying that column F contains either the numbers 1,2,3 and/or the
letters X,Y,Z ?

1 and X should be counted as the same
2 and Y should be counted as the same
3 and Z should be counted as the same

If that's the case enter this formula in C71 and copy down to C73:

=COUNTIF(F$1:F$100,ROWS($1:1))+SUMPRODUCT(--(CODE(UPPER(F$1:F$100&0))=ROWS($1:88)))

Biff

"miketv" wrote in
message ...

ok...let's see if I can explain the problem...
Column F has manually entered numbers 1, 2, or 3. (They're codes for
reasons behind variances. They could also be called X, Y, or Z.)
I need Cell C71 to tell me how many 1's (or X's) are in Column F
Cell C72 should tell me how many 2's (or Y's) are in Column F
Cell C73 should tell me how many 3's (or Z's) are in Column F

I tried the standard =DSUM formula for the respective cells (C71, C72,
& C73), but i just get the -#VALUE!- error.

Any advice?
If more info is needed, I can provide it. (Just thought I should leave
the posting as uncluttered as possible)

thanks, mike

--
miketv