Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Chip Pearson

Default DSUM : what am I doing wrong?

Use the COUNTIF function. E.g.,

=COUNTIF(F:F,1)

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft MVP - Excel
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
www.cpearson.com

"miketv"
wrote in message

ok...let's see if I can explain the problem...
Column F has manually entered numbers 1, 2, or 3. (They're
codes for
reasons behind variances. They could also be called X, Y, or
Z.)
I need Cell C71 to tell me how many 1's (or X's) are in Column
Cell C72 should tell me how many 2's (or Y's) are in Column F
Cell C73 should tell me how many 3's (or Z's) are in Column F

I tried the standard =DSUM formula for the respective cells
(C71, C72,
& C73), but i just get the -#VALUE!- error.

Any advice?
If more info is needed, I can provide it. (Just thought I
should leave
the posting as uncluttered as possible)

thanks, mike

--