Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
liam

Default vlookup truncating information

vlookup is truncating information that im trying to bring into a new
spreadsheet. I think its reducing it to 255 characters. Is there a way
of changing this or switching it off?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Kevin Vaughn

Which version of Excel are you using? I just now tried it with 2000. First
I entered text in a cell and tested it with the len function. It was 384
characters. Then I did a vlookup both in the same spreadsheet, and from a
different workbook. In both instances, I was able to see the entire contents
of the cell (after expanding the width and turning wrap text on.)

--
Kevin Vaughn

"liam" wrote:

vlookup is truncating information that im trying to bring into a new
spreadsheet. I think its reducing it to 255 characters. Is there a way
of changing this or switching it off?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Peterson

If you open the "sending" workbook and then recalculate, you'll see all the
characters. But if that "sending" workbook is closed, your data will be
truncated at 255 (or 256???) characters.